The An Albatross Family Album Review

8.4
 7.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The An Albatross Family Album Reviewed by: areyouabadfish2, on july 29, 2009

Sound: After releasing "Blessphemy.." in 2006, I pondered how An Albatross could possibly progress their ever-changing sound on their next album. They threw me a curveball to the teeth with "The An Albatross Family Album". Keeping true to their signature noise rock sound in the album, they've added slower psychedelic parts and more spoken verse/preaching type vocals which I think rounds out their sound perfectly. The spoken verse in "The Hymn of the Angel People" is a clear example of the progression of their sound from their previous releases to this one. With the horns, strings, and extra percussion this is the most well-rounded album by An Albatross to date. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are a combination two styles. The first is An Albatross' psychedelevangelism movement that has been quite consistant since the band's first release. In "Neon Guru", Geida has a Morrisonesque "This is the beat, and this is my favorite part". At the end of "The Electric Proletariat Rides A Velvet Chariot" vocalist Eddie Geida exclaims: "I'm here to tell you children, that their dream is over and from their fertile ashes, the great bird rises!". Another key improvement in his vocals and lyrics is that the slower parts and psychedelic breakdowns allow him to write more lyrics for and not have as many rhythmic restrictions as all the previous albums. The other style Eddie writes in pays homage to Aphrodite's Child's 1972 cult classic album "666(The Apocalypse of John 13/18)". The album shares many ethical values and a similar call to the underground musicians/artists as the family album conveys. Common phrases between the two(angel people) and female spoken verse(loud, loud, loud)are just some of the similarities these albums have. Most humans I've met cannot bare listening to bands that scream. That being said, this album/band is not for everybody. I would ask that anyone who doesn't like screaming give this album a spin anyhow because of it's upbeat lyrics and sermonesque vocals. If you like mathcore/grindcore/whatevercore, the Family Album and previous works of An Albatross are a perfect addition to your library. // 9

Overall Impression: Neon Guru, ..And Now Emerges The Silver Pilgrim, Floodgates Released, and The Electric Proletariat Rides A Velvet Chariot are some of the more memorable tracks, but all of them have a good amount of weight to them. Though not constantly complex musically as "Blessphemy.." was the entire way through, it's longer than "1.sex 2.bird. 3.cake", "Eat Lightning, Shit Thunder", and "We Are The Lazer Viking" combined. The An Albatross Family Album is like a religious experience for drug users and any fan of psychedelic music. // 9

Comments