Anadivine review by Anadivine

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Anadivine: Anadivine

When I first popped in Anadivines self titled CD I was not sure what exactly I was going to be listening to, but after hearing the intro track and the first song on the album entitled "Alcohol and Oxygen" I had a good idea of what I was in for. A prog rock style band reminiscent of Coheed and Cambria. As a matter of fact Claudio Sanchez the lead singer of Coheed and Cambria makes a cameo as he lays down backing vocals for two of the albums 8 tracks. Yeah I thought the album was a little short myself, but after listening to the album once over I was glad I had spent the 10 USD on ITunes for this album. The songs may very, as the first track Alcohol and Oxygen sounds a bit tame, suddenly there's slamming chords and screamo style vocals which make it a nice album to guess how it's going to hit you next. You could say the album takes from the trend that started over the last couple of years of popular punk pop sounds of My Chemical Romance, or Silverstein, and Paramore. It has all that but still with that progressive touch that makes the album oh so much more splendid.

First I will start off with the singer. He sounds fairly good, nothing too outstanding as far as his singing goes. He doesn't catch me as the next big thing nor does he come off sounding like rubbish either. His raspy sort of exhausted sounding vocals lend well to the songs and he also proves early in the album that he can go screamo like the best of them. The lyrics themselves can be hard to hear clearly because of the state of the singers voice, it comes off raspy and a bit sloppy so being able to clearly hear him is a problem, but from what I hear seems to be a more generic heartbroken style lyrics. No fancy play on words can be found in these parts. With the exception of Claudio Sanchez's cameo on the track "Cross your heart" where Claudio brings in his own style of writing lyrics in his patented rhyme and poetry.

To compare it to what's out there now would be unjust as this band isn't big and this should be the first review of their album on Ultimate-Guitar.com. But from what I have heard through this album over the good couple of months I have had it I can say it's a solid generic pop-punk album with a lacking of tracks that may leave some buyers of the album with a sour taste in their mouthes. However it is definitely worth a listen to if only from a friends CD or mp3 player. it's not a album nor a band that crosses my mind at all during the regular day of music listening, and I really only listen to the album for the one or two outstanding tracks.

Spoony_Bard
    This is a good band. Very similar to most pop punk / emo bands out today. I got into them after hearing about Claudio's cameo on 'Cross Your Heart' (which is beautiful , by the way). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Anadivine broke up a while ago after releasing 'Zoo', so no more new stuff from them. Too bad, they were quite promising. Good review.
    zachyboy006
    Yea They Broke Up After Releasing "Zoo" Which One Of My All-Time Favorite CD's. But To Of The Members Fromed A Band Called "The Median" Which Has A Completely Different Sound Then Anadivine.
    dahstin
    shabutie86
    dahstin wrote: Um this cd has been out for ever so to compare it to coheed and cambria and my chem is unfair, and its not correct to say it takes from those bands since they came out at about the same time musc reviewers should know thier music better....
    The fact that the lead singer of Coheed and Cambria sings on the album, and the fact they are both from the same music scene and Coheed has been around since 2001 and from the sound of Claudio Sanchez singing on this album it was during their first album Second Stage Turbine Blade.