A Natural Disaster Review

9.8
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
A Natural Disaster Reviewed by: Muser9909, on may 21, 2016

Sound: Oh my god, I don't know how to start for describe this band. Anathema is one of these unique bands that is difficult to describe their sound, but I had a description, Emotionally Intense.

I always I've had a fan of the extreme metal scene, and also, I've checked out bands like My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Katatonia and Disembowelment, this bands, have been part of the doom death metal scene of '90s, and another band was a part of this scene, and was Anathema. Anathema have released 2 doom death metal albums, "Serenades," with another singer, and "The Silent Enigma," that is the last of the genre that they have made, with the singer that they had to the date, Vincent Cavanagh.

I Don't know how is the story of "Eternity," but in "Alternative 4," the band took another direction that conserves to the date, there's no more doom death metal, no more brutal growls. Is a quiet rock with progressive influences, but also, with emotional landscapes that define the group, this album defined the sound of the band. Later continues with the spectacular "Judgement," I had the pleasure to meet Anathema with this album, more emotional than the previous album and his the last that used distorted guitars.

But a similar album come 2 years after "A Fine Day to Exit," "A Natural Disaster," is another epic album by this amazing band. This album if I don't get wrong, introduces the beautiful voice of Lee Douglas, and takes much more evolution than the previous album, because had more electronic progressive influences (deep songs like "Balance/Closer") and also, certainly flirtation with the most extreme metal sound their old era ("Pulled Under at 2000 Meters Second" and the start of "Violence") can be listened.

However, I've consider this album with "Weather Systems" the most complete Anathema sound, is beautiful, a sweet, chilled experimentation, beautiful cover, the keyboards simply are awesome and the electronic voices that are used in songs like "Balance" and "Closer" are simply a masterpiece, beautiful atmosphere, excellent use of the progressive elements, definitely, an excellent work of Anathema. Brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: I have no words, Anathema are poetic, those lyrics are simply beautiful verse for verse, they had deeping messages that touches the soul of every people, combines perfect with the music, Anathema are unique with those lyrics, I've never cried with a song like "One Last Goodbye" (my friend died 2 years ago) and when I'm listened to this song, I've had a obvious concept for what is the theme that Anathema use lyrics. For touch the soul of the people, the poetry of them are a emotional storm, is very difficult to forget.

Brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: Is very difficult find another band like Anathema, every work of them are unique, and "A Natural Disaster" isn't the exception, they have made a great jump of the previous work to a more mature and very rare sound. I always loved the most albums of them, but I have to say that "A Natural Disaster" is my favourite, like the other albums I love the emotion that them sends in music, but this is unique for the music, have much more progressive influences and modern alternative rock sound.

You had to buy this album, you never get regretful for the buy. If you are a fan of the extreme metal music, give you a break, and listen this work, is very curious, because Anathema was part of the most extreme scene in a time, and now you can watch the most beautiful evolution of a band, you gonna love this beautiful work, and also the last works too. The best songs on the album for me are "Harmonium," "Balance/Closer" and "A Natural Disaster."

No more words, a masterpiece. // 10