Cities review by Anberlin

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
Anberlin: Cities

The new album by Anberlin called Cities is a bit of a disappointment. The opening and the first song, Godspeed, are really good putting in a few new factors the their music while still keeping the same Anberlin sound that I have come to love. For most of the remaining songs however, there is a distinct impression that the band discovered synthesisers. Songs such as There Is No Mathematics To Love And Loss and Reclusion would sound brilliant on the next ministry of sound record but for Anberlin it just isn't fitting. In saying this however there are still brilliant masterpieces that will go down in history like Godspeed, Hello Alone and Uncanny.

The lyrics in Cities are still up to the standard I have some to expect. Just some of the music would need to be a bit different for them to have the full impact they deserve. The singing is also very good but again has just a little bit too much synth in it to make it perfect. There are too many repeating echoes that have an effect the first time and even the second but if it's in quite a few of the songs it is a bit overboard.

Cities is a decent buy that I would recommend if it is your style. However for the rock lovers out there maybe give it a miss. It isnt I believe up to the standard of Never Take Friendship Personal but isnt too far below it. So if your into a bit of modern synth combined with rock then this is the album for you.