Cities review by Anberlin

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Anberlin: Cities

Anberlin is an amazing band, and this CD is half decent as well. Cities, which is there 4th release, is by no means there best but it's not there worst either. The songs on the album have staggering vocals and some have a half decent guitar solo as well, the bass has a fairly steady and diverse line but the second guitar is nothing the bass can't cover. I had went ahead and bought the Special Edition of the CD and was somewhat dissapointed, but not entirely, at the fact that two of the three bonus songs were re-dos of '80s songs I thought had died and stayed there. But the original bonus song, Uncanny, was definately worth it. The DVD wasn't half bad either but I would hav eliked it a lot better if they had a live show on there too. I would have to say taht Stephan Christian's vocals are among the most amazing in the punk rock scene, but I don't think he pushes them all the way to the potential, except in Uncanny. There are a handful of decent songs on the album but hte same goes for the undecent. I would have to say that my least favorite song on the CD is "There Is No Mathematics To Love and Loss" but hte most impressive would have to be "Alexithymia".

The lyrics are great and catchy, but they are used over and over agian, like from "I am the Patron Saint Of Lost Causes" in both Dismantle. Repair. and (*fin). There are also many other lyrics that are used over and over again. another factor of the lyrics that bothers me is that they make no sense. Take the first single "Godspeed" for example, you start off with "Burning down Neverland", go into "They lied when the said the good die young", to "shes asleep in a chelsea hotel"? how does that all come together? not the most impressive assortment of lyrices ever.

Its a great CD but I have to say that Never Take Friendship Personal is their better CD. This is a decent album and since I'm a CD addict I'd probibly go out and buy it again for the heck of it. I think that if they took off the re-dos and Mathematics and changed the lyrics so I can follow them then I'd give this a higher rating.