Cities review by Anberlin

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
Anberlin: Cities

This album has a very versatile range, with songs like "Godspeed" and "Adelaide" they are rather heavy, with a Taking Back Sunday Feel about them. Where as other songs such as "Dismantle Repair","Alexythimia" and "Inevatable" that are much softer and have a tendancy to relax, but as opposed to many other soft songs, All have sections that so to speak "Crank Up" to avoid being boring. It is a fine art writing a slow song that maintains the listeners interest, and in this CD anberlin have mastered that perfectly.

Stephen Christian, Lead singer of anberlin has a very uniquie voice, and handles this albums lyrics perfectly, as a vocalist he has grown tremenously in skill since the previous album. The Lyrics on this album are extremely serious and deep, in the song "Inevatable" one line says "I want to be the last first kiss, that you ever have". These lyrics are in my opinion very powerful and hard hitting, and Stephen Christian dilevers them flawlessly. Many lyrics in this album are extremly meaningful to many of the listeners, These are some of best lyrics I have heard in a long time, and are up there with the likes of Elton John and Paul McCartney's, these two artists are not my particular STYLE but I do admire there song writing skills.

Anberlin have realy grown as a band and it shows in this album particularly. If this album were stolen from me, I would most deffinatley re-purchase it. The most impressive song on this album in my opinion is "Godspeed" as it is an amazing way to kick of the album (It is the second track but is the first with Vocals) although I dislike the first track bein an Instrumental as they realy missed an oportunity to kick of the album with a bang by putting that there. I would recommend this album to almost anyone as it changes it's sound frequently and would appeal to most audiences.

fret13
    did i seriously say 4th release in my review?.... well i meant 3rd for all of you who pay attention =)
    Side Effect
    A pretty good album. I found some of the lyrics to be a little contrived. Such as, "There is algebra in gasoline." Seems to just be put in there for the theme of the song. They have definitely matured songwriting wise. (Fin*) is a very powerful song as is Alexithymia. I also must give it to the guitarists as they pulled off some pretty good riffs.