Never Take Friendship Personal review by Anberlin

• Released: Feb 1, 2005
Anberlin: Never Take Friendship Personal

The sound ranges from being powerful and almost harsh, to being quiet and soothing. The guitar work is unpredictable and combines well with the vocals. It has its moments where you can hear the relation in songs between their last album (Blueprints For The Black Market) but not in a boring way.

Stephen Christian is a phenomenal vocalist in my opinion. His high voice just suits the type of music they are playing perfectly. It is not Axel Rose annoying high either. It is a soothing, when need be, and harsh, when the song needs it. A lot of the lyrics are very relationship oriented. Although they are Christian rock, I do not see any obvious christian oriented lyrics. The songs, as earlier mentioned are very relationship oriented. The song, Stationary Stationery, is all about a girl who moved away and seems to be forgetting about the boy she left behind. So he writes her a letter basically saying don't forget about me. The song Time and Confusion is just a cry of happiness because this girl is yours. A Day Late is all about a past lover showing up at your door step one day and confessing that she is still in love with you, even though both of you have significant others. Stephen basically toys with the idea of being with this girl or going back to his old lover. Although there are the evident love songs, there are also songs that go deeper into it. Dance, Dance Christa Paffgen is all about drugs and the girl who saved you from them. The Feel Good Drag is all about cheating and realizing that it was all just a big mistake.

I find this album as a huge improvement from Blueprints For The Black Market. The maturity as a band is evident. People want albums that they can listen to front to end without hesitation and this album is perfect for that. There is a song to reflect each mood on this album and we need more of them. My favorite track is definatly the feel good drag. If I lost this album I would definatly buy a new one because this album doesn't lose intrest.