Someone Anyone review by Anberlin

• Released: Aug 23, 2012
Anberlin: Someone Anyone

In case some of you didn't get the memo, Anberlin is releasing a new CD! It's about time! It's been about two years since Anberlin's release, "Dark Is The Way, Light Is A Place". Anyway, Anberlin's new release, coming out in the middle of October, is called "Vital". Anberlin or people working with Anberlin have been releasing a few songs from "Vital" to give us a taste. This time around, it's "Someone Anyone". This song right off the bat sounds a bit (too) modern. And by modern, I mean electronic; however, I feel it works quite well. Anberlin has a history of incorporating techno bits. This happens in numerous songs of theirs. The song overall is everything I expect Anberlin to be without becoming repetitious. It's dark, brooding, and very riff driven in the appropriate/correct times. Plus, it has a fade out of a distorted minor chord. Who doesn't love that?!

Ah, Stephen Christian. You're an excellent lyricist. That is really all I can say. Although I step away from religion-undertone'd singers, I can't for some reason. At least that's what I hear when I listen to the lyrics of "Someone Anyone". The first main point: "Do we not have what it takes? / Are you the cure or disease? / Do you still take as you please?" I sense an undertone. I don't want to hear any comments about it (head over to SongMeanings.net for that kind of stuff). Undertones aside, the lyrics, both in composition and in style, fit the style and composition of the song quite well; however, and this aspect is a bit opinionated, but I feel the lyrics are a bit repetitious. It could be me, but the lyrics of this song could use a bit more of... Something. I would still consider the lyrics to be great, though.

How can I say this without sounding biased? It's great. It's all that Anberlin should be. Dark, riff driven, and and slightly electronic. Though Anberlin isn't always like this, I feel they are at their best when they are. But, hey! Don't take my words for it. Go over to http://www.anberlin.com/ and give it a listen! I am fairly certain you'll enjoy it if you've been an Anberlin fan for the past few years.

MyDogAteAString
    New Surrender and Dark is the Way were great, but I like the slightly Cities, Blueprints direction they're taking cause I love that type of Anberlin sound just a little more
    goingnowhere21
    It feels like Dark is the way came out not too long ago. I've been pretty satisfied with their previous work. I like how as a band they've really evolved and found their own sound. Blueprints, while having some pretty good songs on there, was a plain rock album...the last couple of albums have really defined their own sound. Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to Vital.
    Macabre Lullaby
    I had no idea they even had a new album coming out. But if it's all going to sound this good, then I'm pretty stoked. Has a lot more teeth than any of the stuff from Dark is the Way.