The Best Of Andres Segovia: The Millennium Collect review by Andrés Segovia

• Released: Nov 9, 2004
Andrés Segovia: The Best Of Andres Segovia: The Millennium Collect

Andres Segovia (1893-1987) is maybe the greatest but definitely the most influential classical guitarist of all times. This CD gives a small view into his work and is perfect if you have never listend to Segovia or classical guitar in general before. The sound quality is surprisingly good if you think that he was born in the 19th century. But he kept recording until he died so I guess these must be some later recordings. There are some of Segovia's own trancriptions of pieces that were originally written for other instruments and some pieces that were written for classical guitar.

It is a complete intrumental album, no lyrics. But of course Segovia speaks his own special language through his guitar. He was the first one who really used the guitar as a instrument for classical music like a violin or a piano so he was also the first one to look on dynamics and things like that.

A absolute must-have in a big guitar CD collection. Especially for fans of guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Beckerm it might be interesting to listen to the music that influenced them. My personal favourites are track 1, Segovia's transcribtion of Bach's Prelude form his Cello Suite, track 2, the famous Bouree in e-minor (used by Tenacious D for "Classico" from "Pick of Destiny"), track 3 another Bach transcribtion, this time from a violin sonata and finally track 5, Recuerdos De La Alhambra, maybe the most famous classical guitar piece ever. But I also love all of the other tracks, it's just a great CD. If it was stolen I'd go right to the next music store and buy it again.

Shib
    He is the reason why we can learn guitar in school and aswell as why we have nilon strings.
    USAPeavey
    nightrain28
    USAPeavey wrote: IMO classical guitar doesn't get enough respect in the guitar community. This is some of the most virtuosic and beautiful music in the world.
    For real, son.
    scottishmob
    I've been listening to Segovia for about a year now. This man is truly the greatest and most influential player in history. Its a goddamn crime that 99%% of UG has no idea who he is.
    YYZ
    I completely agree, if you think sweeping or tapping is complicated then look into some classical techniques. Well, actually, those are classical techniques but their more associated with metal now. Anyways, this review is terribly written.
    PlugOfDoom
    IMO if you can play classical guitar, you can play anything. Not only does it sound awesomely beautiful, but classical guitar will get you a lot more awesomely beautiful chicks than speed picking-double tapping metal riffs ever will *note to self*
    PlugOfDoom
    Belsius
    This guy converted the guitar into what it is today, compared to the piano. he is without doubt the most important guitarist in history
    FretboardToAsh
    PlugOfDoom wrote: Oh, and one more thing, you don't have to dress in all black, wear chains, and use intense eyeliner while playing your Jackson to be a bad ass. Andres is definetly underrated and he looks like someone's grandfather, but he is without a doubt a total bad ass on guitar. Listen to him and bow down.
    I watched a video of him yesterday on youtube, it's a song i've been practicing for a few days now. got some very bitching positioning in it and that old fart just sits there and pulls it off. whithout any glitches at all - great, just great.
    BloodySunRising
    Anders Segovia. Well, what can I say, he is the reason why guitar is a popular instrument today! When it was on the way out he made it popular he gave it a new face! Is is a shame to play guitar and not know about him! Anyway, I have a quastion about the CD. Is Asturias and estudio remebranza in it?