Joyland review by Andy McKee

• Released: Jan 1, 2010
Andy McKee: Joyland

Andy Mckee has had over a million views for songs such as Drifting, Into The Ocean and Rylynn, and now he's released another good collection of songs on his fourth album called Joyland. Once again it features great percussive tapping on tracks like Hunter's Moon and Blue Liquid, and beautiful melodic chord changes in all the songs. What's more, he's even got other instruments that play along like the glockenspiel in the intro for Joyland. A real treat if you like Preston Reed or Michael Hedges (Andy's done a cover of his song titled Layover in this album).

This is a funny album to review the lyrics for because it doesn't have lyrics. Just beautifully constructed high melodies that completely go with the rhythmic thumb picked basslines. Honestly, if he had replaced the melodies with words, the music wouldn't have the same meanings as they do in this album. Listen to Everybody wants to rule the World, compare it to the original and see how cool it sounds without the words.

My one complaint is a tiny one, the tracks on this album take a couple of listens to get your head round all the complex changes that he effortlessly applies. Sometimes it's a little too much and compared to songs like Into The Ocean, it feels like a brain puzzle that soothes your mind at the same time. Nevertheless, I like all the songs, especially Away, My life as a CPA and Layover. If this album was stolen, I would get another copy instantly and set booby traps around it so the same thing doesn't happen again.

superubercool
    I saw him in concert in Portland a couple months back. I bought this album, got it autographed, shook his hand, and took a picture with him. Andy is incredibly nice; an amazing person. This album is a 10.
    Hobobski
    If I slaved and practiced for years, I might be be able to match his magnificent beard (since shaved ), but but never his talent. and hes finally getting some deserved attention too, his latest videos being professionally recorded.
    Tim.Colborne
    Hey There I love Andy!!! He is an amazing guitarist! I know that this is a bit out of date, but I learnt "Drifting" and have attempted a cover I want to learn some of the tracks from this album soon hopefully Please check it out and let me know what you think and if I'm on the right track
    Many Thanks