I-Empire review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: Nov 6, 2007
Angels & Airwaves: I-Empire

Angels and Airwaves is an interesting group, interesting sound. This, in my opinion sounded much better then their previous album "We Don't Need to Whisper". I-Empire also has some sort of story or movie along with it, as I have heard, but I'm not sure. This album actually gave more impression of the instruments then just plain drums. It's chords are simple, but not that satisfying enough. Some song beginnings are just way too overdone, or just plain out making the song not actually seem like it'll be a good song. Rite Of Spring is one that actually does start out with instruments with the guitar, bass, and drums. I found that as a miracle. However, some of the songs actually sound decent.

The singer's way of singing the song can get sometimes repetitive and quite annoying. Most songs these days are going back to love songs. At least half, if not more of the songs on this album are about love. I find that very annoying at times. The lyrics really decent, I enjoyed them. Rite of Spring was lyrically good, and well done, and played well with the music being made for it.

Weren't love songs supposed to be made during the '70s-'80s? That's when it was really being done. The beginning of the '90s, it started to die down. But, why are these "punk rock" bands and any thing else actually making love songs? They are too repetitive, they talk about a girl all the time, it's quite annoying. When Van Halen did love songs, it was for it's time, but this is a new era, it should be something different. Not girl/love orientated. If I had lost this album, I would probably forget about it, and not buy it again for another few weeks or so. I love the fact that they attempt to be idealists (that's what I see), they try to make something different, I commend them for that, but it just doesn't catch the ear very well. The main song that I seriously like from this album would be Rite of Spring, because I consider it true to the point. I would recommend them actually being more punk rockish like they were supposed to be, like Tom's old bands, such as Blink 182.

Buckus386
    i have but 1 word for ava "garbage".... blink was awesome their music help me through alot of shit, but like all good things must end. plus 44 they stay'd true the the blink sound that just shows who the genius was behind all of blink success. so in the end ava=garbage - plus 44 = awesome-ness and blink = no words can discribe.... this is just my opinion
    getts182
    This album was indeed better than We Don't Need to Whisper, but it still falls way short of anything blink-182 did.
    We all know the everything's magic riff sounds like anthem part 2, but it's not exactly the same. Besides, Tom wrote it in the first place so he has the right to use it again for a new song.
    That's not the point, the fact is that the riff is a blink-182 ripoff, and it shows complete lack of originality. The fact that this sounds like a U2 cover band doesn't help that either. Tom may have helped write some amazing songs in blink-182, but it's clear from +44 who the real driving force was behind blink-182.
    Ok, so I have both albums from AVA and I have the ONLY album from +44. Yet, people seem to think that +44 is better. Sure, if you're into Blink, then +44 is more your style, but AVA has still accomplished way more than +44. It's funny cuz in an interview with Mark Hoppus, he said part of the reason they broke up was because him and Travis wanted to keep working on music. Why do they only have one album? Plus, they only released one single from that album. AVA has done so well with their music. Tom is gifted lyrically. Sure, he does repeat himself in a few songs, but it's only to get his point across. The way I see it, if you don't like it, then why do you talk bad about it? Tom has accomplished a lot. Oh and as far as Blink getting back together...keep dreaming. You can see from both bands that that's never gonna happen.
    stradivari310
    getts182 wrote: AvA put out two albums in two years, whereas Mark and Travis (later Carol, Shane, and Craig) spent nearly two years working on one album. Putting out two albums in two years with three or four good songs (The Adventure, The War, Secret Crowds) is hardly an azazing accomplishment. Thus far, AvA has released four singles: The Adventure, Do It for Me Now, The War, and Everything's Magic. +44 has released three singles: When Your Heart Stops Beating, Baby, Come On, and 155. +44 has only one album because the focused on QUALITY over QUANTITY. I think this is evident on I-Empire through the blink-182 ripoff Everything's Magic and Star of Bethlehem/True Love, which due to its split makes up two songs. Right. Tom needed filler. Tom was gifted lyrically, and sometimes that gift shows back through. Secret Crowds is an amazing song. But that doesn't make up for 11 other songs that are merely okay. When Your Heart Stops Beating wasn't a perfect album, but I can still listen to it and enjoy it just as much as I did the day I bought it. And most importantly, at least it's honest.
    I agree with what you said about +44. That album is probably the most honest music Mark and Travis will ever make.