I-Empire review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: Nov 6, 2007
Angels & Airwaves: I-Empire

As you all know Tom Delonge from Blink 182, 90% of people that listen to AVA, heard him before in Blink 182. This is a completely different sound. But it still kicks ass! All the band members in AVA, all came from punk rock backgrounds; for example, Tom DeLonge (Blink 182), Atom Willard (Rocket From The Crypt), Matt Wachter (30 Seconds To Mars), and David Kennedy (Boxcar Racer). This sound is a lot like the '80. It almost sounds like it's own style. It is actually quite relaxing with the upbeat music, and catchy pop sounds. They did a really good job, of making the music sound, with the lyrics. Awesome sound.

If you know Tom Delonge, I am sure you think that the lyrics will be about things that are funny sometimes, which you probably know what. But this CD is a lot different. The song Call To Arms (the opening) I personally, thought was rad. A melody that grew big by the end of the song. Rite of Spring, a song about Tom's life, from when he started with nothing, and it turned to everything. Secret Crowds, a definent hit. Strong Guitar Riffs, Heavy Vocals, it is purely great. Tom has his own style of singing, which really creates more feeling in these songs. It sounds like he sings how they should sound in all of these songs. It just wouldn't sound right, without him singing.

This is there best CD (out of only 2 AVA CDs). The other record "We Don't Need To Whisper" was mostly about war, and loss of hope, in some of the songs. Don't get me wrong, there are still awesome songs. This CD is more about the subject "Everything will be alright, and don't give up". Great CD, I recommend you go buy it at a store, or on iTunes. If this CD ever got lost or stolen, I would deffinently buy a new one. If you just want to get a taste of what, they sound like, go on iTunes and buy, Call to Arms, Everythings Magic (which you've probably heard), Secret Crowds, or Rite of Spring. I think the smartest idea is to just buy the whole record.

Henkdemachtige
    @getts182 Do you like know what i think? because i have exactly the same thought as you. Also, if you check youtube or other sits with movies from live performances from AVa and +44, it seems as +44 entertains the crowd more and get them along to have a really good time, AVAs performances are dull and quite boring. +44 got a really good album out, AVA got 2 albums but their not finished, Escpecially the second, before it was released you already heard star of bethlehem/true love/everythings magic/sirens/call to arms(under other name)/secret crowds. then you think you get a totally new album then its just those songs with 3 new songs on it.
    diark
    Benjirob wrote: everything's magic is the only song i like. everything else blows.
    absolutely true
    cbrockel
    I can't believe one of the reviewers said (+44) were better than AVA. How does generic, four chord "punk" rock garner a place over actual instrumentation and lyrics that preach something everyone can get behind? (+44)'s album is boring...I gave it one listen and found all the songs were depressing and ran together.