Love review by Angels & Airwaves

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Feb 14, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.7 Superb
  • Users' score: 9 (116 votes)
Angels & Airwaves: Love
5

Sound — 8
The sound of AVA has been clearly defined in the first two releases, WDNTW and I-Empire. What makes this album so much different than the previous releases? Well the sound has many of the same ideas, lots of reverb and delays, but as a whole the album has this sort of cinematic and prestigous sound. This makes since because of the intent to release the movie making LOVE the soundtrack. When the CD opens with the latin titled intro that might sway even devout AVA fans like myself. The Album starts at track 2 as far as I'm concerned. The album starts and ends with a bang making for the cinematic ideea. Where the proverbial climax should be is the epic Letters to God II. This track along with Flight of Apollo, Halucinations, Young London, and Some Origons of Fire make for the epicness expected with Tom's claims for rock rejuvination. Finally the album does have certain weaker songs, but more good than bad.

Lyrics — 9
The lyrics are deep and very poetic. The album is divided into both radio friendly lyrics and deeper meaningful rhyme. Tom Delounge has proven to be a great lyricist even if his live shows aren't his strong suit. The lyrics fit the theme of the album. The songs are very uplifting and inspirational.

Overall Impression — 9
AVA has proven again that they can have a diverse and well blending sound. The lyrics deep and inspriational. The album is free of charge at their modlife site so you are definently getting a gift. Tom hopes that his album will boost his bands fanbase. This tactic didn't fare well for radiohead but putting a whole CD out for free is gutsy which defines AVA from the begining. Give the album a chance once or twice though and it starts to grow into a a top album on the playlist. Best to listen while night driving.

29 comments sorted by best / new / date

    jaksongitr
    tnpass986 wrote: i agree with bair, what country are you from? i disagree however as a huge blink-182 fan and a tom delonge fan in general, i've been less and less impressed with ava as their successive albums have come out, and this one in my opinion is mediocre at best, with very few memorable moments.
    I approve this statement. that must mean something
    awisinger
    I think this album is great. Every album has its great and bad songs but I felt this album was well done.I have enjoyed it for being a free download. Can't wait to see them in concert.
    SwordNemesis
    I thought this album was absolutely amazing. I think the more you listen to it the more it really really grows on you. I had to listen to it twice through to really understand some of what was going on in it. I always love to pick out the instruments being used and the different ways they are using the synths and stuff. Honestly I love Angels & Airwaves. One of my favorite bands ever, just because they have such a U2 type sound. The Edge also happens to be my favorite guitarist, and Tom Delonge is right up there just for his melodic playing. I love it :]
    Shredder XXX
    Good review, pretty good album. A little less epic than Tom would have us believe, but none-the-less a stronger showing from AVA.
    Henkdemachtige
    Bair wrote: The album isn't anything special or different from their past works. Also, this review sounds like it was written by someone who speaks english as a second language.
    Does the last thing you said matter? good review.
    Bair
    The album isn't anything special or different from their past works. Also, this review sounds like it was written by someone who speaks english as a second language.
    jarretto
    Some of his best work better than anything he did or Blink did in general. The Moon-Atomic is one of my favourite songs. Love everything about it
    thewags1992
    I think that this album is the most amazing piece of art I have ever heard. It is definately the work of Tom DeLonge's career. It surpasses blink-182 in my opinion. I have deep respect for Tom and what he is trying to do in his music and how he is trying to change.
    screamo36
    haha well it's free so why not give it a listen, btw im an american haha jsut from oklahoma
    Tster
    Kozlic wrote: it'S not DeLounge m8. It's DeLonge.
    yeah, but who cares. AVA had really grown on me. when i first heard them i was expecting blink but as soon as i got over that i couldnt get my head around our awesome and inspiring they actually were
    Buddyvege
    I think this album is more musical than the older ones. Theres a lot of cool guitar and rythms this time. and does it matter if the writers not american? Everyone can enjoy music
    glogalswaze
    I think AVA will always be reviewed poorly regardless of the album quality. Tom Delonge has set crazy expectations and his own comments have really undercut the band. Not to mention that AVA is not really centered on live instruments, so much as synth effects. If you take Linkin Park, love em or hate em their success is based on their music and not on chester bennington calling a revolution. If anything they write to challenge themselves. Tom Delonge has put too much expectations on AVA and they have suffered. That said, LOVE is classic AVA, grandiose sounds, with lyrics that are abstract, and sometimes cheesy and catchy. It won't be an album that get new fans, but it will definitely keep old ones. LOVE is stronger lyrically and musically then the last two albums. It has shown that AVA is talented, but they are not fully confident in applying it. I feel that if LOVE was twice as long, with much longer interludes then it would be a much better album. Instead it feels cut for radio. Prog bands like Dreamtheater and Pink Floyd make you wait forever for the climax, but when it happens your glad you stuck it out. Big thunderous sounds needs to the right build up otherwise there is no appreciation. LOVE is easy to listen to and makes sense in song progression. It will be interesting to see how LOVE the movie will carry out the music. Would be possible that the album just the music climax points of the movie, and the movie gives you that needed space the album lacks? Well see. Thanks to all readers, my first post on UG
    badreligion17
    god have you ever even seen tom perform live? hes not 21 anymore, hes fine live hes just wasted having a good time like music is supposed to be
    Kevy Absolution
    Bair wrote: The album isn't anything special or different from their past works. Also, this review sounds like it was written by someone who speaks english as a second language.
    And this is a Russian website, so complaining about that is like complaining about a high volume of foreign-made cars in Japan.
    mustainex2000
    its great to see AVA growing up and working hard to improve in their sound. for me I-Empire wasnt a strong effort compared to their debut, but LOVE its a great improvement of band work, soundwriting/crafting and its a gift for us, the fans!
    angrymop24
    good review for a good album. its a album that plays with your head inm a nice way. quality genius
    Axle543
    i thought the cd was pretty good, nothing special. but definitely worth the wait. favorite band ever, and cant wait to see em at detroit
    loudog93
    i think its a pretty cool album. some parts are trying so hard to be epic that they come off as cheesy. I want a new blink album dammit!
    intothe
    I definitively think that this is their best album to date. I don't think any of the songs is their best song ever or anything, but overall as an album it is definitively better than WDNTW and I-Empire
    SGplayer1991
    I'm not a huge AVA fan...mainly cuz I was mad at Tom for making Blink break up but this album was good..I liked maybe 3 songs before but this album was pretty good
    SwordNemesis
    I think, part of the reason I'm such a huge fan of Tom Delonge and his music is because I've seen what he's gone through in his life, the drugs and stuff and what not, my brother was almost in the same situation. I feel like I can relate to what he went through and draw parallels between them and really feel his music more because of it. I can feel his lyrics, and really see what he's putting into it. It's amazing the maturity he has gone through. Yah he's still the same old Tom Delonge at times, but he's much more then he ever was. These albums just keep getting better and better.
    haz_uk
    Kevy Absolution wrote: Bair wrote: The album isn't anything special or different from their past works. Also, this review sounds like it was written by someone who speaks english as a second language. And this is a Russian website, so complaining about that is like complaining about a high volume of foreign-made cars in Japan.
    ...but do you see any russian on it? didn't think so.
    travislausch
    I decided to check this out on a whim due to the fact that it's free, and I can't say no to a free album labeled as "progressive". Mind you, on that last point, I've been skeptical since Tom Delonge is involved. Because before this, I have never heard Angels And Airwaves, and my tastes in music run pretty wide, I feel I can give this a much more unbiased review than most who've either been fans or haters for ages, or others who hate the general concept of their work. I didn't find much too special with it. The atmospheres seemed to be pretty much the same with each song, Tom goes a bit too heavy on the delay at times, and it's hard to take any music seriously with Tom's singing. I would actually go so far as to say that this would be a lot more serious and listenable if someone besides Tom sang on it. There's nothing really wrong with the songs or the instrumentals themselves, the execution of them just needs a lot of work.
    tnpass986
    i agree with bair, what country are you from? i disagree however as a huge blink-182 fan and a tom delonge fan in general, i've been less and less impressed with ava as their successive albums have come out, and this one in my opinion is mediocre at best, with very few memorable moments.