We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

Well here comes another Tom DeLonge (Blink 182, Matchbox) band, but with a new twist, it's actually good. The sound of Angels And Airwaves is purely amazing. It has an almost epic/star wars feel to it. Definatley something new in this day where the same stuff is heard over and over. After listening I have decided that the best/favorite songs are their current single The Adventure, Do It For Me Now, and It Hurts.

The lyrics in this album are amazingly deep for Tom, I honestly didn't know he could think like this. The lyrics cover many topics ranging from love to war and beyond. As for the lyrics they too are epic and match perfectly. Tom's voice has never been considered great by any means, but it too matches the music and he sings with enthuiasm that I think he may have lacked earlier in his career.

Angels And Airwaves debut album is definatley something impressive. Compared to Tom's other bands it pretty much takes the cake. I love the catchy guitar riffs that the band has in almost every song and look forward to hearing newer and greater stuff from a band I plan on following for most of their career.

mr_johansan
    Yeah everyone has different opinions of the best bands and albums and thats good that we are all different. But stop going on! If you like the album good if you dont ok well your loss becuase its a brilliant album one of the best ever in my view. Its alot better then alot of crap in the charts today. So STOP COMPARING THEM AND STOP GOING ON FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
    imburningstar4
    El_Hefe! wrote: I streamed this album first thing Tuesday morning and I must say, Tom De Longe did in fact over-hype this album to some degree. First of all, to set everyone straight, this album is not what 'I' would call revolutionary. I say this because the influences that helped spawn this album is dumbfoundedly evident throughout the album. Can you say U2 or The Police epic song structure? I'm sure there are more but I'd rather not delve into an extensive roll-call of bands and their formulas that are welded into this album. Second, this album is not covering any new territory that hasn?t been already sonically produced by some of the most memorable bands and moments in music. As mentioned earlier, U2 and the Police and countless others of the like have charted this sound and approach. However, I will say in the defense of Mr. Delonge that perhaps in his eyes it was revolutionary, in the sense that the sound, lyrics, and structure are in their own right revolutionary to the way Tom is expressing himself in the herein now as compared to his early days of dick/fart joke songwriting. Furthermore, the album might be revolutionary to the current generation that isn?t exactly exposed to rocks greatest predecessors. Personally, what he?s talking about is at times a bit sappy but, I?m not one to critique being that he is where he is and I am where I am. All in all to some degree or another, Tom has evolved as a songwriter and I?m sure that the next effort, like most other supergroups such as Audioslave, APC, and all others of the like will find their own ?true? sound that will separate them from their former incarnations as well as their forefathers. Lastly, I want to point out that the guy who even thought of comparing AVA to Nirvana obviously has not heard or experienced Nirvana for who and what they were. The two are like night and day; orange and apples. As for greatest albums of all time, personally, I find that you can?t compare one revolutionary album to another. They are all intrinsically well made; crafted as pieces of composition art. It?s like saying a Picasso piece is far much better than DaVinci?s Mona Lisa. They?re both good in their own way as standalone works of art. Anyways, I?ve digressed?here is my personal list greatest albums of the last 20 years in no particular order: Nin-The Fragile/With Teeth/The Downward Spiral Nirvana- Bleach/In Utero/Unplugged Pearl Jam- Ten/VS/Yeild Pink Floyd- The Wall Tool- Undertow/Lateralus/Anima Metallica- Kill ?em All/ Master/ Justice/Black/Reload Deftones- White Pony/ Deftones The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute/Deloused at the Commatorium SOAD- Toxicity/Mesmerize/Hypnotize Audioslave-Out of Exile Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger/Superunknown/Down on The Upside 311-Transistor/Grassroots/Music/From Chaos GNR- Appetite/ Use Your Illusion 1&2 U2- Joshua Tree/ All That You Can?t Leave Behind/ Dismantle Korn-Issues/Korn Blink182-Dude Ranch/Take Off/Blink 182 Pantera- Cowboys from Hell/ Vulgar Display/ Reinventing the Steel Stone Temple Pilots- Purple Jewel-Pieces of You Snow Patrol- Final Straw Smashing Pumpkins- Melancholy/Siamese/Machina A Perfect Circle- 13th Step Green Day- Idiot/Nimrod/Dookie/Warning Slipknot- Subliminal Verses 3 RHCP- Arcadium/By the Way/One Hot Minute/ Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magic Deathcab For Cutie- Plans Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell Goo Goo Dolls-Dizzy Up the Girl Hot Water Music- Caution Alkaline Trio- Crimson Blind Melon- Blind Melon Coheed and Cambria- Second Stage Turbine/ Good Apollo I?m Burning Star 4 Beck-Odelay/ Mellow Gold/ Guerro Foo Fighters- The Colour and the Shape/ One by One/ In Your Honor Queens of The Stone Age- Lullaby?s to Paralyze/ Songs for the Def/ Rated R Henry Rollins- Weight The Strokes- Is this It/ First Impression Thrice- Vehissue/ Artist in the Ambulance The Verve- Urban Hymns Keane- Less than Jake- Anthem/ black&blue/ and mostly everything else by them Glassjaw- Tribute Beastie Boys- Return to the Five Burroughs/ Ill Communication/ Check Your Head Mudvayne- LD50/ the End of All Things to Come ?just to name a few?theres more but, I?m done.
    you have officially pwned everyone
    Sh4d0wB31nG
    You know, all this talk of "best album in 20 years" and "Angels and Airwaves is (X) classification" makes me want to break something. Why don't you all stop trying to classify everything you see and start listening to the music? It's not made to fit into your classifications, or make you feel comfortable. It's made to be different and throw something new in your face. Listen properly before you comment.
    sassamafras
    ya its way over hyped..the cd is alright but its not anywhere close to being the best cd of the past 20 years
    M. Moloney
    This cd is gonna sell to all those ''music fans'' who thought blink182 were a great band (they were a catchy singles band at best) and because mister ''tom blow my own trumpet'' delonge says its great, and lets not forget the idiots who will only listen to it because ''toms sooo hot!''. If you want something new and epic then check out The Jimmy Cake's album ''Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead'', its an astounding album. Just remember tom will never be remembered as a great songwriter or lyricist, after all he wrote a song about f*****g a dog in the ass thank you
    Sh4d0wB31nG
    M.Moloney, I agree. Tom is not hot. Look at his face, people, stop staring at his fame.
    Brandon860
    hahaha man...if ignorance and stupidity is bliss, then Tom Delonge must be more one with the universe than Buddah, The Dali Lamma and Captain PLanet combined