We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

First off, I am a huge Blink fan, so the breakup of blink hurt me just as much as it hurts any of you. However, Blink's last album was by far my favorite album of theirs. It really showcased Tom's songwriting. So needless to say, I had a feeling that this album would be good. I absolutely love this album. I've listened to it every day for like a month, yes I illegaly downloaded it, but I almost made up for it by buying 2 copies of the CD. The sound is a lot more mature than anything I've heard from Tom. Grant it, the sound is very U2/The Police-like, it really is very good. The different instruments used on this album are amazing, such as the little toy kiddy piano on Start The Machine. I think that was a really cool thing to throw in there. I really don't think this album could be any better. Also, I love the guitar effects especially on "Do It For Me Now", the intro with the delay and the tremolo picking that kinda makes it sound like a helicopter, that's really cool. I just love the sound on this album. It's incredible.

I love the lyrics on this album. They are very inspirational, especially on "The Adventure". The lyrics that I think are most impressive are on "Do It For Me Now", "A Little's Enough", "The War", "It Hurts", and "Start The Machine". The lyrics work very well with the music, it's almost completely flawless. Now we all know that Tom isn't the best singer ever, but I love his voice on the album. It's so different and unique and really adds something to the beauty of this record.

I think this album is amazing, absolutely amazing. I really don't see why people are ragging on it. Sure, it does sound VERY U2- like and definetely has hints of The Police in there, but like Tom said, those are the kinds of bands he listened to over the last year, and all of us know that the music you listen to is reflected and inspires the music you write. The most impressive songs are definetely- "Do It for Me Now", "A Little's Enough", "The War", "It Hurts" and "Start the Machine". Those songs have the best lyrics out of any songs on the albums. The songs I really don't like are "Good Day"-great song, but the chorus is terrible, and "The Gift"-which is a wonderful song, but sounds far too much like U2, and "Valkyrie Missile"- I love every part of it, except it is very repetitive, but the end with the slides and everything is really cool. I love pretty much every part of this album. I love the lyrics, the guitar, the drums, the overall feel of it is amazing. It's a very inspirational CD. If it were lost or stolen, I would definetely but another copy, I can't live without this album. Here's an overal sum-up of the songs. 01. Valkyrie Missile - only song that reaches the 6-minute+ mark. However, about 2 minutes of that is an intro. The lyrics are very repetitive and creates the same feel throughout the whole song, without really changing. But it has a really cool ending. 02. Distraction - probably my least favorite song on the album. The intro is about a minute and a half of the same stuff over and over and over. It gets very annoying. The verse lyrics are very good, but the chorus "I'll be your distraction" is kind of just dull, and lacking imagination. It's just too bland. The end of the song is also very good with the "I'll be, I'll be yours" I really like that part. Do It For Me Now - one of my personal favorites. I love every single part of this song. The lyrics are absolutely amazing. This song is just classic. 04. The Adventure - great song. Lyrics are very inspirational. The music to this song is very good, very catchy. 05. A Little's Enough - my absolute favorite song on the CD. This song is a beautiful song. I love the chorus of this song and I love the ending where in the background Tom is going "Just A Little". The song is absolutely amazing. I love every part of it. 06. The War - a very powerful song. Every part of this song, lyric-wise, is just worn on the sleeve. Unlike any other song on the CD, this song starts out hard, mounting in frustration throughout the intro. Then the lyrics come in, and you're just taken back, by how powerful they are, and mixed with the music make this song just perfect. 07. The Gift - great song. Probably one of the best choruses on the album, or even in the last decade, in terms of a "love song". It's something you can say to a girl and just make her melt. This song is just absolutely amazing. 08. It Hurts - wonderful song. The angry lyrics in the verse are so catchy and fit so well. However, I don't like the "It Hurts, it hurts, it hurts... " It goes on forever, and even though it fits well, it gets old. 09. Good Day - I love the verses of this song especially the verses, especially the 1st verse "I should have turned back, I should have known better..." I love the pre-chorus "Oh I need you now.." But I really don't like the chorus, it lacks imagination. I think Tom was going for one of those- so simple, but so good types of things, and although this song is still fun to sing along to, he didn't accomplish that part in the song. 10. Start The Machine - one of my favorite songs. I love the lyrics in this song. All the lyrics. I love the kiddy toy piano in the beginning. That takes a lot of imagination to do that, and a lot of courage because Tom went out on a limb, and it worked. This song is a great end to the album, especially with the powerful bass line in it.

scrat-182
    i really dont uderstand why people syked themselfs up for this album! it wasnt wht i thought it would be! when i heard the adventure and it hurts on the website i thought o my god they are going to be great but when i got the album non of the songs compare to them! i dont under stand! ven though i like the album and think they are ok i think the album was a bit of a let down myself! Tom was saying that he was going to change the world with his new band but the only thing hes changed is the style of song writing thats all! even though they are a bit of a let down to me i still think they are ok!