We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

Angels And Airwaves is way different than Blink 182's pop punk sound. This album's sound is now synth rock, similar to The Killers and U2. Tom takes the position of lead guitar and starts playing single notes more than his usual power chords. Palm muting in this album is a lot better than older Blink CDs. Tom and David even start using effect pedals. An example of this is the song, It Hurts. The sound of this album may not be pop-punk or any other type of music, but nevertheless, it still sounds awesome.

Gone are the days when Tom wants to write songs about f--king a dog in the ass. The lyrics in this album are mature. These lyrics are inspired by how Tom felt when his brother had to go to war and the Blink 182 breakup. Tom still writes about love as he always does. All of the lyrics in this album are good, but I really, really, hate the parts where Tom or Ryan repeat a line in a song a lot. Examples of this are when Tom in the Adventure says "I cannot live, I cannot breathe unless you do this with me," about 10 times, the part in It Hurts with Ryan or Tom saying "It hurts, it hurts," a couple of times. But even those don't interfere with the overall impression of the lyrics.

As stated earlier, this album sounds similar to The Killers and U2. The intro for It Hurts even sounds a little like the one for the Killers' Mr. Brightside. My favorite songs of this album are Do It For Me Now, The Adventure, The War (has great guitar riffs), It Hurts, and Good Day. The latter being my least favorite due to the very annoying part where Tom says, "Do dada dodo dadada." I love everything about this album except for the parts where Tom DeLonge repeats the lyrics so much times. I absolutely hate those parts! Overall it was a great album and worth every bit of my dad's $10. If I lost it, I would definitly buy another one (the explicit version if I lost my old album).

MusicMan666
    It was shit. There are much better musicicans out there such as dream theater. Give them a try. As well as joe satriani, steve vai and children of bodom...then well see whats ok.
    Junesongtrigger
    Avenged Sevenfold are hardly doing something new, What a joke. This is just Delonge trying to be good and falling flat once again. Listen to albums that are actually the best albums that have been put out in the last 20. Don't waste time on this.
    Dallen_007
    ppl should really calm down, sure this album is not the best album in 20 years, but it is really good and is a welcome break from all the crap thats been floating around these past couple years. What really gets to me though is that ppl always try to catagorize music, like Sh4d0wB31nG said it makes me sick. This music was made for people who were looking for something different than whats out there today, and ppl please stop listing the best albums of the past 20 years, it could go on forever. Although i have to say, Tom you really made a mistake by calling this album the best thing in 20 years. AvA the new Nirvana, please, AvA is good but not that good!
    WhereArtEsteban
    ok guys this enraged me, hearing u guys bitch about what the greatest album in the past twenty years is, its bullshit c'mon guys. everbody has their own opinion and the greatest album will never be set in stone because there will always be some person who didnt really care for whatever the album is. who cares your opinion is your opinion. b.t.w AVA is great i luv em'. did they make the greatest album in twenty years, probably not, but its up to you why argue bout your own opinion its urs and no1 can take it.