We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 23, 2006
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.7 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.3 (402 votes)
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper
0

Sound — 10
My first impression of Angels And Airwaves as someone who's held Blink 182 as their favorite band since 8 years old when I first saw the video to Dammit on MTV in like 97 was honestly amazed. I knew Tom Delonge was never gonna go back to the old school brand of pop-punk he had with Blink, (look at the last Blink cd and Boxcar Racer)But Angels And Airwaves, was better than I thought. It's got alot of U2 and Cure influence but still Tom Delonges signature style of songwriting. I honestly find that to be amazing. The cd has not one bad song on it.

Lyrics — 9
I can honestly relate to all of the lyrics in this cd. They're all well written, but I gotta admit there are a few low points in it. In "Good Day" the chorus line is pretty weak, "I Think I like today/I think it's good/Something I can wrap my head around." But overall the lyrics are really good. Tom Delonge was always good at penning good lyrics.

Overall Impression — 10
Amazing. I'm really depressed about the Blink 182 breakup, but it could be worse. Tom Delonge could quit music in general, so could Mark Hoppus. But Angels And Airwaves partly makes up for Blinks breakup. If you're a fan of Early U2 or The Cure, or even Blink 182s self-titled CD, this cd is for you.

4 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Oldmonkeys
    every song sounds like a 2 minute intro the songs never get anywhere i really disliked it
    rko
    clashclash wrote: God this bands sucks dont buy it
    They don't suck they are awesome
    jasonkan wrote: tom 4got to tune his guitar b4 recordin this album from outer space.
    I don't think thats possible to record up in space. You both are biased if you don't like it fair enough but no need to say they suck and crap when clearly they don't
    PunkFish182
    Nilcerise wrote: ST. DIZZY! wrote: El_Hefe! wrote: I streamed this album first thing Tuesday morning and I must say, Tom De Longe did in fact over-hype this album to some degree. First of all, to set everyone straight, this album is not what 'I' would call revolutionary. I say this because the influences that helped spawn this album is dumbfoundedly evident throughout the album. Can you say U2 or The Police epic song structure? I'm sure there are more but I'd rather not delve into an extensive roll-call of bands and their formulas that are welded into this album. Second, this album is not covering any new territory that hasn?t been already sonically produced by some of the most memorable bands and moments in music. As mentioned earlier, U2 and the Police and countless others of the like have charted this sound and approach. However, I will say in the defense of Mr. Delonge that perhaps in his eyes it was revolutionary, in the sense that the sound, lyrics, and structure are in their own right revolutionary to the way Tom is expressing himself in the herein now as compared to his early days of dick/fart joke songwriting. Furthermore, the album might be revolutionary to the current generation that isn?t exactly exposed to rocks greatest predecessors. Personally, what he?s talking about is at times a bit sappy but, I?m not one to critique being that he is where he is and I am where I am. All in all to some degree or another, Tom has evolved as a songwriter and I?m sure that the next effort, like most other supergroups such as Audioslave, APC, and all others of the like will find their own ?true? sound that will separate them from their former incarnations as well as their forefathers. Lastly, I want to point out that the guy who even thought of comparing AVA to Nirvana obviously has not heard or experienced Nirvana for who and what they were. The two are like night and day; orange and apples. As for greatest albums of all time, personally, I find that you can?t compare one revolutionary album to another. They are all intrinsically well made; crafted as pieces of composition art. It?s like saying a Picasso piece is far much better than DaVinci?s Mona Lisa. They?re both good in their own way as standalone works of art. Anyways, I?ve digressed?here is my personal list greatest albums of the last 20 years in no particular order: Nin-The Fragile/With Teeth/The Downward Spiral Nirvana- Bleach/In Utero/Unplugged Pearl Jam- Ten/VS/Yeild Pink Floyd- The Wall Tool- Undertow/Lateralus/Anima Metallica- Kill ?em All/ Master/ Justice/Black/Reload Deftones- White Pony/ Deftones The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute/Deloused at the Commatorium SOAD- Toxicity/Mesmerize/Hypnotize Audioslave-Out of Exile Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger/Superunknown/Down on The Upside 311-Transistor/Grassroots/Music/From Chaos GNR- Appetite/ Use Your Illusion 1&2 U2- Joshua Tree/ All That You Can?t Leave Behind/ Dismantle Korn-Issues/Korn Blink182-Dude Ranch/Take Off/Blink 182 Pantera- Cowboys from Hell/ Vulgar Display/ Reinventing the Steel Stone Temple Pilots- Purple Jewel-Pieces of You Snow Patrol- Final Straw Smashing Pumpkins- Melancholy/Siamese/Machina A Perfect Circle- 13th Step Green Day- Idiot/Nimrod/Dookie/Warning Slipknot- Subliminal Verses 3 RHCP- Arcadium/By the Way/One Hot Minute/ Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magic Deathcab For Cutie- Plans Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell Goo Goo Dolls-Dizzy Up the Girl Hot Water Music- Caution Alkaline Trio- Crimson Blind Melon- Blind Melon Coheed and Cambria- Second Stage Turbine/ Good Apollo I?m Burning Star 4 Beck-Odelay/ Mellow Gold/ Guerro Foo Fighters- The Colour and the Shape/ One by One/ In Your Honor Queens of The Stone Age- Lullaby?s to Paralyze/ Songs for the Def/ Rated R Henry Rollins- Weight The Strokes- Is this It/ First Impression Thrice- Vehissue/ Artist in the Ambulance The Verve- Urban Hymns Keane- Less than Jake- Anthem/ black&blue/ and mostly everything else by them Glassjaw- Tribute Beastie Boys- Return to the Five Burroughs/ Ill Communication/ Check Your Head Mudvayne- LD50/ the End of All Things to Come ?just to name a few?theres more but, I?m done. Dude you have way to much time on your hands! :-l this guy just rocked all of you who say this band is good because he obviously knows music and that this band is not good, maybe if everyone just knew what true music was
    I shouldn't be getting myself into this argument but, he didn't rock us all because firstly, this is supposed to be a spot to review one album saying whether you liked it or not, then providing proof to backup your opinion. It would have been fine if it was left at that, but instead we are given a huge, subjective and frankly, irrelevant list of other albums. If you think they're worth knowing, do a review in the appropriate spot but don't jump in with your list of how many bands you know when it's not asked for, or useful. And second, knowing lots of albums/bands doesn't make the opinions of others less important you can know a million obscure fa