We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

My impression of Angels & Airwaves and their sound is incredible. Each track can argueably be said they sound the same in a sense, but each track on the album uses different effects and keeps you hooked listening to it all the way through. The effort and thought put into this record really shows in the music. The sound is very much stadium rock such as U2. I really love how Toms guitaring abilities have really exceeded Blink-182. He has learned about effects and he knows equipment such as other guitar players just know how to stomp on a button for distortion. The production and mixing truely makes this album a breath of fresh air from similar sounding artists today. The style of the sound is very much futuristic. There is a lot of delay effect usage, flange effects, and chorus effects. Distortion is used in like 2 songs for a limited time. And through my experience of watching bands (old and new), the best guitarists always have a clean tone, which is exactly what Delonge and Kennedy are doing.

The lyrics are exactly what I expected after Tom's dilemma of Blink 182. Although, I figured Tom would write an album that emphasized his sorrow and his loss of Blink-182. However, to my surprise, The lyrics were nothing but influential and sends a positive message to listeners which is rarely seen in todays music scene. Tom's vocal range is limited and is probably not the best singer on the planet but he makes it work and sound beautiful throughout the record. My overall impression of the lyrics to this album is that again, its a breath of fresh air from Emo sounding lyrics and that Tom really outdid himself considering he wrote lyrics about girls, f--king dogs, and other silly things.

This album is everything I expected from Tom DeLonge after the dilemma of Blink 182's hiatus. This is a complete departure from the typical pop punk sound/lyrics like Blink 182 demostrated gracefully. It is similar to U2 where we see Tom's influence of The Edge. Highlight songs on this album are 'Valkyrie Missle', 'The Gift', 'Start The Machine' and 'Do It For Me Now'. This band like I said before is comparable to U2. I love how this band has a positive message and beautiful sounding music to accompany it. The only thing negative I can say about this album is that I wish there were more songs, 10 doesn't cut it for me. If this album was stolen, I'd go out and buy 2 more.

Truth Seeker
    Dan The Poet wrote: AVA is killing meeeee ahhhh Tom went and started a new wave 80's band! Whatever happened to his Blink 182 attitude about not caring? He's wayyyy to serious.
    I guess, he finally fell in line...