We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

The sound of this band is very different from anything that I've heard before. It sounds a bit futuristic at times. Especially on tracks like Valkyrie Missile & The Adventure. Tom said it himself that the sound of the CD is epic & atmospheric. I think that that explains the sound of this band quite well. They had a very interesting, if not, weird way of making the songs in the album. All of them would go inside a room, & on one side of the room they would stick pictures of the results of war & war itself. On the other side they'd put a huge TV. Then they would sit in the middle of the room & write songs. Tom explained that they did this so that on 1 side of the room they had the mistakes, pain & loss caused by war & on the other side they had emptiness & space. And this really reflects on their music. Since most of their songs are about war & have an atmospheric sound. As I said before, most of their songs sound futuristic & atmospheric. This makes them very original & different from all the other bands out there.

I really wasn't impressed in their lyrics here. As most of them don't seem to make any sense. And those that do make sense seem to always have a connection or reference to war. But I have to say that the lyrics go pretty well with the music. A good example is The Adventure. The song is about looking to the future & moving forward. So they made the song sound really futuristic & spacy. Tom has always had a very unique voice & I have always liked this. I wouldn't say that it's the best voice out there, but I wouldn't say that it's bad either.

As always, here is my impression on the songs: 01. Valkyrie Missile - from the moment you play the CD, you know that it's going to be good. The 1st time I heard this song, I could only say "wow!" The most impressive intro I've heard, ever! Actually, the longest intro. Running about 3 minutes until the actual song starts. Also very epic & atmospheric. 02. Distraction - the intro of thie song can get a bit annoying. But the lyrics are the highest points of this song. 03. Do It For Me Now - I loved the guitar riff on the beginning of this song. A good example of "futuristic". 04. The Adventure - this is my favourite song. And also the best in the album. Loved the intro riff. Also the most futuristic sounding song in the CD. The chorus is definitely the best part of this song. But the entire song is just awesome. 05. A Little's Enough - the organ in the intro sounds really dark/weird in this song. The song makes up for it though. Good song. In the outro, they brought back the organ. But this time played it to sound atmospheric. 06. The War - very catchy song. Also the hardest song in the album. Tom said that he wanted to make a song that sounds as if soldiers were marching to it. 07. The Gift - this too is one of the best songs in the album. Probably the best chorus I've heard. The bridge & chorus is played with "traditional-african drum" sounding drums. 08. It Hurts - at first I didn't like the intro to this song. But it eventually grew on me. Good Song. About cheating in a relationship. 09. Good Day - the intro is very unique in this song. It starts of with the sound of snapping fingers & a couple of guys whispering. Almost all of the songs in the album have very unique intros. But that's not a bad thing. 10. Start The Machine - it starts of with either a toy piano or a xylophone playing. I'm not really sure. Most of the song is very subtle & simple. But it explodes on the bridge with heavy guitars & drumming. The toy piano/xylophone is definitely the best bit of the song. The outro is also really interesting. All the instruments fade away little by little until only the toy piano/xylophone can be heard. 11. Do It For Me Now (live) - I thought that because this is live, there'd be a couple of differences & improvs. But it still sounds like the original. This is a bad thing since it's just like the original only with Tom speaking in the beginning & screaming fans in the end. I really can't compare this to any other band I've heard. Since they are very original & have a very unique sound. The most impressive songs would have to be Valkyrie Missile, because of the epic intro, and The Adventure. I loved the fact that they tried to be different & created their own sound. As a rule, I never buy the same CD twice if it were lost/stolen. As it is just a waste of money. And I wouldn't care anyway since I have it in my computer. But even though it were stolen, I'd still hit the guy in the neck with a bat. I couldn't blame him anyway. Since it is a good CD.

Grunger Aj
    THis album lacks soul. IN fact its up there with coldplay. Which is a bad thing. THe sound is very disapoiting because its sounds like a lot of things but not quite making the leap. THis album i think has only got good reviews because of tom delonce being involved in it. Simple.
    ShaDoW0lf
    WoW.. too much to read.. I have this to say though: A lot of hope was riding on this album, mostly because of Tom. Think about it. Who do you think of when you think of AVA? for more than 80% of us, its Tom. I think people just don't want to admit that it wasn't as awesome as they hoped. As for the music... well, we've heard enough to say that it's not the "most amazing album in 20 years." Everyone needs to take an unbiased view from now on about AVA. Listen to the songs and think: "If this was a brand new band without the name TOM DELONGE in it, would you rate so high, praise and enjoy the music so much?" If you do, well, good for you. In the end, it's the public rates the quality of the songs, not one person.
    Metallicam
    DelongeFootwear wrote: To all the people who say this is not the best album in the last 20 years....then what is the best album? as far as im concerned, this album is the best album in the last 2 decades. Its different, it stands out of the hardcore/emo crowd and everything on tv. lets see 20 years ago was 1986. i did a search for top albums during this era, and the only thing that was "revolutionary" as Tom says his band is (which it is) is Nirvanas Nevermind. everything else was just like everything else played on tv. nothing special. so unless you can give me a revolutionary album in the last 20 years, you dont know what youre talking about and have opinions with no back up.
    I can name 10 Cds that have been better than this in the past 20 years. Blood Sugar Sex Magik Jagged Little Pill ...And Justice For All Fully Completely Ragged Glory Smash So Far So Good So What? *I could put every single Megadeth album, but I won't * Into The Great Wide Open Chamber Music Black Sail in the Sunset There's at least 20 more, but I think I made my point. I don't think this album stands out from the emo scene at all. I just wasn't impressed. A few good songs, but nothing that could make me buy this album. **My sister bought it, and I've borrowed it in case you're wondering.
    azza6
    1st yes tom talked this album up a lot more than he should of, but this is a musician website you guys who are just completely bagging it out should think of yourselves, if u were writing an album and u were havin a heap of fun doin it wouldnt you be saying how great its gonna be? even if its not? 2nd i absolutely love this album, yes sum songs are kinda repetative, but a lot of songs are just pure genius, do it for me now, the adventure, the war, are just awesome!!! 3rd no its probably not the best album in 20years but it is a very good album anyway! overall a great album, a bit repetative, great lyrics, music that changed enough but not to much to turn you off listening to it, a great buy for anyone that likes 80s guitar, great lyrics, or soft blink stuff! Id give it 8.6/10!!
    2112swartz
    the only reason that there is a parental advisory sticker on the album is because tom says the s word in one song. thats it.
    Avrilsbestguy
    yea...i thought this album was just fricking mind-blowing. wow...Tom rly made this album great. had it been sum1 else, i dont think that i woud like AVA as much as i do becuase of Tom. also, the lyrics were amazing.
    Zell182
    This album really let me down as I'm a huge blink-182 fan and I even like most of Buddha (Carousel is one of their best songs) but this album sucks to be honest all the songs have really slow boring intros and all sound the same. the only exceptions are 'it hurts' and 'the war' which are alright but overall a huge dissapointment. +44 are gonna wipe the floor with them
    Zell182
    DelongeFootwear you want a revolutionary album? How about take off your pants and jacket? best freakin alnum ever