We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

Ok, before I say anything, I was a huge fan of Blink 182, but I kind of grew up and grew out of it. Boxcar Racer was very good, probably Tom's best lyrics ever, he put his emotions into the songs. Angels and Airwaves was just average to me. Yes, it's a different sound, very unique. That is the part I like about AVA, they went out and tried something new. But they didn't stand out as much as I thought they would have. I listened to the hole CD once, and I haven't really done that again. The drumming was amazing in my opinion, but everyhting else was just ok. Maybe Tom could quit using power chords, and do something new.

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with the lyrics. After hearing Boxcar Racer, I don't feel Tom put his true voice into the lyrics for AVA. There was no message in the lyrics, no hidden meaning. I believe that Tom has hiw own unique lyrical style, and with AVA he tried to break out of that style, and it jsut didn't workout. Of course there are some lines that stick out, but there just aren't very many of them. Tom isn't that great of a singer, but most of the time his voice sounds good with the music. This time, I felt that his voice didn't maych perfectly with the music. Tom is a pop/punk rocker, and he should go back to Boxcar Racer's style of music. If Tom wants to continue with this style of music, he should take a lesson from Jesse Lacey, one of the best songwriters ever.

This is more mature then blink-182, but not that much better. I prefer Boxcar Racer and Plus 44. The songs that stood out more to me were "Start The Machine" and "The War". I love the drumming on this album, but that is about it. There are a few splashes of lyrical depth, but just a few. I don't like the guitar, it's just too simple. I think Tom is lost without Mark and Travis. If my CD was stolen/lost, and I actually lost it, I wouldn'y buy it again. This band, in a sense, is a one hit wonder.