We Don't Need To Whisper review by Angels & Airwaves

• Released: May 23, 2006
Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper

Firstly, the sound is different from anything any of the members have attemted before in any of their previous bands, and its amazing. Many of the songs on the album have epic guitar riffs and synth build ups. I don't think anyone could have seen this coming after the break up of Blink 182 I think all the build up to this album was due, Its such a masterpiece.

My overall impression of the lyrics are that they are truly brilliant, songs such as "It Hurts" and "The War" have angrier lyrics whereas songs such as "The Adventure" and Valkyrie Missile" are very inspirational. The lyrics to the last verse in "Start the Machine" stick out to me and portray what AVA is all about, and the music backing that verse completes the album brilliantly. Toms is obviously not the greatest singer in the buisness, but he has such an individual voice, it goes with the individuality of the music perfectly.

My overall impression is that this is an amazing album, and you'd be missing something in your life if you didn't listen to it, whether you enjoy it or not. 01.Valkyrie Missle: an amzing build up that really sets the tone for the rest of the album, with a brilliant ending "Who do we think we are/we're Angels and Airwaves" 02.Distraction: another epic build up that at first seems quite odd, this is one of the best songs on the album as the lyrics and music completely suit eachother and it has a brilliant concept 03.Do It For Me Now: I remember when I first heard the album and this was the first song that really stuck out, the slick guitar riff and Toms vocals in this are amazing. 04.The Adventure epic build up that ends in what I believe is the greatest riff ever written. The lyrics to this song are amazing and inspirational. Definately the best song on the album 05.A Littles Enough this is a great song,it seems to evolve from one song to another, which is showing Toms blink roots. Probably the catchiest chorus of the album. 06.The War: a real "stand out song" compared to the rest of the album, its got a good heavy intro backed by meanful, anti-war lyrics. 07.The Gift: not my favourite song off the album, brilliant none the less, the chorus is beautiful and the bridge takes you to a different place 08.It Hurts: a good song, definately one of my favourites, Tom definately gets the point through that "You're best friend/Is not you're girlfriend", another "stand out song" from the rest of the album 09.Good Day: this is probably the worst song on the album but thats not to say its bad. Its actually really good and has good lyrics in the verse but looses it in the chorus. 10.Start the Machine: what a song. The bass fits the song perfectly and the Toy piano was a genious addition to the song. The final verse is probably the greatest bit of music ever composed And if I lost this I would buy it again as soon as I could.

FlapJack85
    Kwokinator wrote: DelongeFootwear wrote: To all the people who say this is not the best album in the last 20 years....then what is the best album? as far as im concerned, this album is the best album in the last 2 decades. Its different, it stands out of the hardcore/emo crowd and everything on tv. lets see 20 years ago was 1986. i did a search for top albums during this era, and the only thing that was "revolutionary" as Tom says his band is (which it is) is Nirvanas Nevermind. everything else was just like everything else played on tv. nothing special. so unless you can give me a revolutionary album in the last 20 years, you dont know what youre talking about and have opinions with no back up. i think guns n roses - appetite for destruction was made in 1987. That album definatley beats we don't need to whisper
    okay, that makes sense, something a Slash wannabie metal poser would say, At least AVA is original and creative and they dont write about ****ing chicks in every song!! And all the people who say Mettalica beats AVA are so dumb!! Again, retarted, overated metal posers!! Same w/ Iron Maiden!! Dont get the wrong idea, I like some metal and this is not a legandery album but, it's more the meaning then how it sounds. Tom was really brave to try and do something like this!! Please stop listening to music like Maiden, Mettalica and G&R's. There is so much more to life then sex, killing and trying to be all evil!! This albums means so much to me!! AVA!!
    Kameliasz
    Stevie B wrote: I love the kiddy toy piano in the beginning.
    It's called marimba :]