Krankhaus review by Angelspit

• Released: Jul 16, 2007
Angelspit: Krankhaus

I suppose if you had to catagorise Angelspit, they would fall under cyberpunk, but their sound is very original. Angelspit's sound is driven mainly by the lyrics, but the fat synths, distorted drum beats and bizarre samples make the music very listenable. The second disc on the album contains remixes, mostly by underground club or industrial groups, but it contains some excellent songs. Some of the remixes are admittedly bad, but that might just be due to my personal tastes.

The lyrics are the main focus of the music. There is very little singing on the album, but no screaming either; this is more like rap. Both Zoog and Amelia sing, their voices usually doubletracked, or dripping with vocoders and distortion. Every song contains an amazing chorus hook, and there is occasionally a brilliantly catchy rhyme or vocal rhythm. The imagery of the lyrics is mostly based on surgery and medical experiments. Unfortunately there are some cringeworthy rhymes on the album, but these are rare ("juicy" being the main culprit).

I'd say that the most impressive songs on the album are "100%", "make you sin", and "wreak havoc", being my personal favourite. The combichrist remix of 100% is also a very good track. I love pretty much everything on this album (apart from "juicy") and I would definately recommend it to fans of club, cyber and industrial styles. One warning, it takes a while to get in to. I hated angelspit the first time I heard them, but after a few repeats it started to grow on me. Try to give them a second chance, if you find yourself hitting the stop button.