Little Plastic Castle review by Ani DiFranco

• Released: Feb 17, 1998
Ani DiFranco: Little Plastic Castle

Hot off the heels of the angry Dilate and the amazing live double disc set Living in Clip, Little Plastic Castle takes us into new waters. This is where Ani really starts to show her Jazz roots. The addition of a horn section on some tracks is pure genius. And yet, on other tracks, we're presented with pure DiFranco style. Her guitar is still blazing, she just has more band backing her up now.

As always, Ani DiFranco's lyrics are amazing. Ani covers such topics as loved ones lost in drug addiction (Two Little Girls), the wave of meaningless pop song after meaningless pop song (Fuel) and, of course, conflicting emotions about a former lover (Gravel.) Each song is carefully crafted, and hits you right in the heart/gut/crotch.

This is one of my all-time favorite albums. As far as Ani albums go, it's possibly my favorite, and definitely in my top 3. Fuel, Swan Dive and the epic Pulse are amazing songs. If you don't already have this cd, go out right now and buy it. If you do have it, go out and buy it for someone who doesn't.