Alice In Hell Review

Annihilator: Alice In Hell
Release Date: 1989
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Annihilator's brand of technical, thinking man's thrash metal garnered many fans with this fine debut, arguably the best release of the band's career.
 8.9
 8.3
 9.5
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Alice In Hell Reviewed by: megasliptallica, on february 03, 2007

Sound: Annihilator are as technical as thrash metal bands come, with Jeff Waters' awe-inspiring melodies and licks and awesome bass-fills, Randy Rampage's (yeah I know, gay name, but he can sing better than you) growling vocals that are often on the verge of turning death metal on our asses, and of course Ray Hartmann's (who ironically the drummer in my band looks like) thumping beats. I'm trying to not exggerate, but Annihilator are truly one of the most under-rated bands of all time (because they are Canadian maybe). The sound conveyed on this album relays the attitude of early '80s thrash combined with the more progressive technical approach to metal in the early 90s. Many of the songs have acoustic intros or fills, which are as complex as they are beatiful, demonstrating the power of Jeff Water's composing talents. // 9

Lyrics: The song titles are a bit random, maybe not what you would expect on a thrash album, but it's actually a change for the better. Whereas some of the songs aren't apptly named, there is always a subtle link between the lyrics and the titles that do make sense after a while. Randy's vocals present a raw, crunchy feel to the songs, that actually compliments the technical music. It may sound weird but trust me on this one. // 8

Overall Impression: I would probably compare this album to Testament's "Practice What You Preach" or something by Mercyful Fate in terms of guitar playing. Jeff uses a real eastern theme in his solos, much like both the bands afore mentioned. The most impressive songs on this album are "Alison Hell", "Schizos (Are Never Alone)", "Burns Like A Buzzsaw Blade" and "Human Insecticide", download tem if you can, and then buy the album! Because you need this CD in your collection. You can probably get it with "Never, Neverland" in any good shop for about 12 quid. The highlights of the album are the riffs and solos, being a guitar player myself, what else would I say? Jeff Waters has so much talent. One this album, due to lack of band members he played all guitars, and bass, much to the likeness of a Death Metal god on his first album with Autopsy's drummer. Figure that one out! If itwere somehow lost I would waste no time replacing it. // 8

Comments