Metal Review

Annihilator: Metal
Release Date: Apr 16, 2007
Label: SPV
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Progressive Metal
As a triumphant 12th studio album, Annihilator show that with a roster of modern metal stars that a sound that's different from many modern sounds but still sounds good.
 7.3
 7.5
review (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Metal Reviewed by: E Kerr, on november 12, 2007

Sound: As a triumphant 12th studio album, Annihilator (Jeff Waters and Dave Padden) show that with a roster of modern metal stars (Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy as well as Corey Beaulieu of Trivium and many others) that a sound that's different from many modern sounds but still sounds good. Yet, it doesn't sound old school and feels nothing like old classics such as Alice In Hell or Never, Neverland. The album has a sound which it sticks to and uses well as Jeff Waters utilizes his vast amount of talent (as well as other peoples) to create the appropiately titles 'Metal'. With Dave padden using less ranged vocals it begins adopt a signature sound. So it has a very solid sound, the solos are intense as is the case when it comes to Jeff Waters as well as his guests Clown Parade is a great start to the album. Couple Suicide follows and I personally ound it to be the weakest song on the album. Featuring Angela Gossow on bacjing vocals it doesn't seem to work with Dave Padden whos voice doesn't seem to go with the deathly Gossow, and it shows. Army of One is a cheesy ass metal anthem but you know what ignore the corny lyrics and you've got one hell a song using the style of riff present in many of the songs on the album. Downright Dominate is a strong follower and shows the bands talent as well as precision which has developed over the many years of playing. Smothered, my own personal favourite, is where Padden shines for me as well as the song Detonation both are good and are two of the highlights on Metal. Other songs are Haunted an eight minute mediocre showing, Operation Annihilation reminds of previous album Schizo Deluxe and is a welcome presence on the album. Kicked, however, seems to be the least 'noticable' on the album and averages out to me. Chasing the High is a fantastic display of shredding from Jeff Waters to bring the album to a great close and also seems like a distant reflection (or shadow) of Alice In Hell. Despite many great songs the album leaves room for desire in terms of sound and always feels as though it's missing something. Maybe it's Dave Paddens fault. // 7

Lyrics: In some cases, such as the opener; 'Clown Parade', the lyrics are good even great and seem like typical Annihilator Lyrics. With the 'experimental' Dave Padden on vocals things seem interesting in some places but plain bizzare in others take for example 'Army Of One' the lyrics are just to cheesy for me adding to a really crap metal stereotype which I've never been a big follower of so that's my personal opinion. I don't have to much to say about the lyrics to be honest as they are one of the things I pay least attention to when listening to an album. I can however coment on Dave Paddens ability to sing. He, to me, is one of the see saw singers, in some places I am awestruck in others. As a bonus we hear shades of something old when Jeff steps in to do lead vocals on Downright Dominate. // 7

Overall Impression: The album itself was released in the second quarter of the year throughout europe for those in America however it will be released sometime in early 2008. Overall it is a solid effort but doesn't surpass previous ones. My review leads it to a 7 which is agreat rating really, if you disagree with my review feel free to say so because it's all a matter of opinion. So finally. The album comes of as an attempt of commerciality once again but with Jeff Waters writing it it ain't much to complain about. // 7

Comments