Drudenhaus Review

Anorexia Nervosa: Drudenhaus
Release Date: Apr 3, 2000
Label: Golf
Genres: Black Metal, Goth Metal
Second full length & follow-up to 'Sodomizing the Archedangel' EP. From French metal gods. Fast, gothic & orchestral black metal.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Drudenhaus Reviewed by: Skullshrinker, on february 27, 2008

Sound: Drudenhaus is the first Anorexia Nervosa's full-length album with singer RMS Hreidmarr (the Sodomizing The Archdangel EP was released in 1999). Drudenhaus is really different from Exile (Anorexia's first album): now the band plays symphnonic black metal and expermiental-goth metal now is away in the past. The album begins with the song entitled "A Doleful Night In Thelema," this song shows what the album is made of: violence, insanity, despair, misanthropy, kick-ass rhythms, French verses, only things to make you bang your head until death. Some songs begin with symphonic intruments ("The Drudenhaus Anthem"), and in all, except "Das Ist Zum Erschiessen Schan", we can hear lyrics in French. All the time blastbeats are raging as if it was the Apocalypse, and Hreidmarr doesn't stop to scream. But note that these moments of fury sometimes stop and then some melodic riffs or breaks ("Tragedia Dekadencia") appear. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics in Drudenhaus often tell about feelings like hatred or despair. Hreidmarr sometimes sing in French, and these French verses are wonderful, like in "The Red Archromance": "Je veux entrevoir la mort dans tes yeux, (I want to glimpse death in your eyes)/ Puisse-t-elle me sourire au moins une fois, (May it smile at me once gain)/Tu otais vierge, mon amour, (You was virgin, my lover)/ Je le decouvris dans la seconde og tu cessas de l'otre." I discovered it at the moment you stopped being it. Also two songs are about religion ("God Bless The Hustler" and "Enter The Church Of Fornication") and tell about it quite with irony. Hreidmarr's vocals are often recorded twice and it ca make a very strange atmosphere ("Divine White Light Of A Cumming Decadence"). // 10

Overall Impression: Drudenhaus is the real first Anorexia Nervosa's symphonic black metal album. All the songs are very powerful and violent, they're all impressive. In 2001, Anorexia will keep on playing symphonic black metal with their album New Obscurantis Order, probably more violent than Drudenhaus. // 10

Comments