Sodomizing The Archedangel Review

Anorexia Nervosa: Sodomizing The Archedangel
Released: 1999
Genre: Symphonic Black Metal
Label: Osmose Productions
Sodomizing the Archedangel is an EP released by French symphonic black metal band Anorexia Nervosa. It was released under Osmose Productions in 1997, and was produced by the band itself.
 6.2
 4.4
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Sodomizing The Archedangel Reviewed by: Skullshrinker, on february 19, 2009

Sound: Sodomizing The Archedangel is French metal band Anorexia Nervosa's very first release with singer RMS Hreidmarr and keyboardist Neb Xort. It follows up to full-length album Exile, released in 1997 with former members Stphane Gerbaut (vocals) and Marc Zab (vocals). Originally, Sodomizing was just a four-song demo sent to several labels, but Osmose Productions' boss decided to release it as an official EP. Sodomizing The Archedangel is composed of "Divine White Light Of A Cumming Decadence" (which also appears on the following album Drudenhaus), "Blood And Latex Terrortech War", "Excreted Communion Under Khaos Zero" and "A Caress Of Flesh And Vomited Romance". As you can guess, these four songs are very angry and fast (drums are often blastbeating), and amongst Stefan Bayle's thrashy guitar riffs, Neb Xort's classical melodies bring some true melody. Actually, we can qualify Anorexia's music on Sodomizing by symphonic black metal, which is totally different from what we could hear on Exile (something like industrial death metal). About the sound itself: well, it's not a high-quality sound, because Sodomizing was first just a demo, but actually, it isn't so bad, and it is event pleasant to hear it: I mean that STA couldn't exist with another sound. // 8

Lyrics: Hreimarr's singing on Sodomizing The Archedangel is really hard to understand. The way he screams makes the lyrics ununderstandable, also sometimes it reminds me Dani Filth's voice. Moreover, the lyrics aren't printed in the booklet, so you have to listen to the songs if you want to understand what does Hreidmarr say. However, if you speak French, you can understand some parts of the verses. For example, in "Excreted Communion Under Khaos Zero": "Je suis content d'tre ici et je remercie le Ciel de m'avoir tenu en vie jusqu' prsent pour voir a." This sentence means:"I'm happy to be here, and I thank Heaven for having kept me alive until now to see all that". Quite pessimistic, no? More generally Anorexia's lyrics on Sodomizing deal with decadence, hatred, wrath, negative feelings... // 8

Overall Impression: Well, to conclude, I'll say that Sodomizing The Archedangel is good release by Anorexia Nervosa, even if it is not their best. It is like a good introduction to their following albums, which are more mature and "kick-ass. Unfortunately, STA and more generally Anorexia's albums are difficult to find today, I think you won't find it in stores like Virgin Megastore or Fnac. Indeed, Hreidmarr left the band late 2005, and the band doesn't exist anymore... what a shame... // 8

Comments