Me In Reverse review by Anorexic Beauty Queen

• Released: Nov 28, 2005
Anorexic Beauty Queen: Me In Reverse

This EP is a lot more piano-based than ABQ's newer material. "I Stole the Unicorn Horn" and "Come Outside" are the best of the piano-based tunes. "Lights Out New York City" and "Moon River is the Soundtrack" are more guitar-based pop anthems. "You've Got a Cute Little Skull" will grab your emotions and bring you to tears with it's screamo-leaning bridge while the closing ballad "Me In Reverse (In Loving Memory of Shaun Luu)" will haunt you for days. Mike Watson's voice is much stronger on this record than the full-length "This Little Light." The only drawback is the mediocre production. Beautifully crafted music, though. The overall sound is emo-tinged dark pop.

Nearly every song on this record deals with relationships: romantic ("I Stole The Unicorn Horn"), broken friendships and maybe suicide ("You've Got a Cute Little Skull"), strained romantic relationships ("Moon River is the Soundtrack"), homage to a loved one who has passed away ("Me In Reverse"). Lonliness is addressed on "Lights Out New York City". The lyrics to "Come Outside" seem to be a rebuke of an unloving person. These lyrics fit very, very well with the somber music. Mike Watson's vocal style is half falsetto, half normal range and he does a very good job of singing on this record. The poetic quality of the lyrics is nearly unmatched in this genre.

Overall, this EP is much darker and stronger than "This Little Light." All six songs are masterpieces in and of themselves, though there are some rough spots. This is classic stuff. If someone stole this, I'd be sad because ABQ's stuff is hard to get (there's always iTunes, but that doesn't include the liner notes and artwork). I hope I don't encourage any criminal activity saying this, but it is worth stealing, but buy it anyway!