Among The Living review by Anthrax

• Released: Mar 22, 1987
Anthrax: Among The Living

Wow! And from out of the blue came Anthrax! Anthrax were basically unknown before this cd. It turned out to be one of the greatest albums of all time. Anthrax's sound is that of long and complex intros to songs before it settles down to let the easy-flowing lyrics do their stuff. They have lots of nifty little riffs in each song, and no song sounds like another one. Everything is precise and polished until it shines.

The lyrics are fantastic. The Joe isn't the best singer, but he manages to make his fast, almost rap-like lyrics slot in beautifully with the guitars. In particular, "Indians" is the song that stands out the most. The theme of the lyrics is the terrible treatment of the native American Indians and shows Anthrax's softer side. Yes, even rock gods like Anthrax do have soft sides.

Not many albums could even hope to compare to this. Among The Living is up there with Metallica's "Black Album", Pantera's "Vulgar Display Of Power" and Slayer's "Reign In Blood". It is part of the immortal group of albums that you simply must get. Anthrax never made any where near the quality of Among The Living, so this is the Anthrax album of choice. If I was to lose mine, I would tear the world upside down to get it. The great riffs and laid-back singing just puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day. Go out, buy several copies, and give them to everyone you know, including yourself. Now.

oldschoolthrash
    It has one of the best metal songs of all time which are: Among The Living, Caught In A Mosh and I am The Law.
    *counts on fingers *counts again
    SGofawesome
    Megatallica18 wrote: what wud u guys say about the best one of big four's debut albums? KIMB, KemAll, FOM, SNM? fistful of metal has the best quality....imo
    Except Turbin was a sucky singer. 1. Kill 'em All 2. Show No Mercy 3. Killing is my Business 4. Fistful of Metal But who cares about the big four anyways...we all know The Legacy by Testament was better than any thrash metal debut.
    rajandmaria
    the ultimate anthrax and one of the best original thrash albums of allll time. they dont get more classic than this!
    evilvile
    My first exposure to Anthrax was the, rather vapid, Stomp 442 album, which left me rather cold to the band, I thinking that I had surveyed the entirety of this band's sound. But the next thing I picked was Among the Living, and it totally floored me, from Among to the ending track 'Imitation of Life'! This album can rest easily next to Megadeth's 'Rust in Peace' and Slayer's 'Reign in Blood' as an essential thrash metal masterpiece!!!
    ExDeath
    Bring the Noise, Syphony of Destruction, Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. 4 of the single greatest metal songs ever written. I could listen to those songs all day. Actually I do. I love their mix of rap and metal. only a few bands could have pulled that off. I'm the man and Bring the Noise are their best songs ever, even though they arn't on this album it still rocks hard
    dio_dude
    This album is great! But joey's vocal's weren't that great on this one. Listen to 'spreading the disease' and you will hear his good vocals
    anthrax1214
    my favorite anthrax album defiantely. my favorite songs are on here and joey is still singing seriously. i give this album a 2 thrash thumbs up.
    bobthebum16
    I just bought this album and am listening to it at the moment.... i LOVE it... WAAAAY better than metallica.. i still gotta say i like megadeth better but these guys are REALLY close.... IMO Megadeth is better like skillwise... but these guys got a lot of energy and there and are perfect if you just want something agressive, bad ass, and something perfect to mosh too GREAT album!!
    Nirvanarien
    ''Among The Living is up there with Metallica's "Black Album", Pantera's "Vulgar Display Of Power" and Slayer's "Reign In Blood"'' Metallica's Black Album? More like Kill Em All, afterall we're talking about Thrash here not Trash... j/k, Black Album however is Hardrock/Heavy Metal and in no way Thrash.
    Realityburn
    No. If you have to pick 2 albums that defined each of the Big 4 it would be: Anthrax: Among the Living and Persistence of Time Metallica: Master of Puppets and the Black Album Megadeth: Peace Sells and Rust in Peace Slayer: Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss Odd how the first of the defining albums for each band was released at around the same time as the other 3, and the second one was as well. 86-87 for the first one, and 90-91 for the second.
    Megatallica18
    [ LiAm ]
    The Joe isn't the best singer
    wah? he had one of the best vocal ranges of the time!!