I'm The Man review by Anthrax

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Anthrax: I'm The Man

At a time when music was starting to take itself a little too seriously, Anthrax decided to break the mould, and write a comedy rap metal song. With the main riff coming from a Jewish folk piece (Scott Ian and Dan Spitz being Jewish), it sets a rather bizzare scene. Musically, it's one of their most simple songs, nothing majorly complicated about its structure, with simple drumming (rare from a drummer as skilled as Charlie Benante) and the simple aforementioned riff. It bears more in common with early Beastie Boys than any thrash band (like I said, they really did break the metal mould) though there is a small sample of "Master Of Puppets"... As a music piece, it's pretty average, but that's not the reason behind this song. The Sabbath cover is pretty tight though, as you'd expect from Anthrax, good performances from all involved.

This is where the song made it's name as a comedic piece. The band will start off each verse with a typical rap lyric e.g. "so listen up because you might get dissed" and ends with one member (I think it's Joey) messing up the final line (e.g. "Go drain the lizard or take a... Chair?") then getting shouted at by Scott for the mistake. The live version is even funnier, as the band get the crowd involved in the song, and it's live on the radio, and swearing isn't allowed, so the end features the band encouraging the crowd to shout "f--k". The band are in full voice on this, I believe that every member has a piece, a few get shout outs during the song (Frankie's never on time, he's always... Sleeping? LATE!)

If you want serious musicianship, look elsewhere, this is Anthrax having fun. It's nothing like their typical fare, no barrage of double kick drums, no heavy riffing, no piercing shrieks from Joey. I think it's one of their best albums though, the title track being just so different from normal works in their favour.

J.R. Legrasse
    Joey is actually playing drums on "I'm The Man". It's Scott, Charlie and Frank doing all the vocals. Check out their live dvd "Oedivnikufesin" from the '80s to see them playing "I'm The Man" live in concert.
    Flav
    I bought the CD today , it`s the best Anthrax album !