Sound of White Noise review by Anthrax

• Released: May 17, 1993
Anthrax: Sound of White Noise

On "Sound of White Noise" Anthrax bursts at the seams with dark brooding anger. They found themselves in a new era of metal at the end of "Persistence Of Time". With the advent of "grunge" and an edgier metal on the rise they booted then vocalist Joey Belladonna for Armored Saint frontman John Bush, who's own band was sidelined by tragedy. The quality of this record is better than previous efforts mostly in my opinion due to Bush's strong vocals and time spent developing a thickness to the overall sound. Still Anthrax, but much beefier. They strayed from traditional thrash to create moods and emotions never heard before on an Anthrax record. I got this disc when I was 14 years old and it quickly became an all-time favorite, up there with "Master Of Puppets" and "Reign In Blood".

The lyrics on this one are pissed off and a little depressed, like a man whose been fired from his job, dumped by his girlfriend, mugged by thugs and kicked in the crotch and now he's come back with a shotgun to have his way with all of them. The grit in the vocals blend perfectly with the guitars and harmonies are expertly placed. Highlighted on "This Is Not An Exit" when he screams "love what I kill, kill what I love," just awesome. John Bush is like a more talented and soulful version of James Hetfield. He remains an unsung hero in metal and one of my personal favorites.

A totally new sound for Anthrax, this record doesn't compare to the older ones. It's not the traditional speed/thrash, that they used to be known for. It's slowed down and groovier while retaining that fuel for the fire mentality with lots of chugging guitars. Far more diverse and flowing, it doesn't lag so much with repetition like their past efforts seemed to. while it could have used a couple more "thrash" parts it doesn't lack in creativity. Standout tracks in my opinion would be "Potter's Field", "Room For One More", "Invisible", "1000 Points Of Hate", "Black Lodge" and "This Is Not An Exit". If this one was stolen I have to go kick somebody in the teeth, if I lost it I'd kick myself in the teeth then go buy 2 new copies!

the~truth
    lol...I used to love this album growin up in the 90's...it's still one of their best
    Silas S Thompso
    He remains an unsung hero in metal
    Because he sucks. Only this and We've come for you all are good from him. He's kind of annoying. More a hard rock frontman than metal
    gtamaniak
    Sorry i just can't like this album or the the rest they made with Bush.This sounds too much like grunge metal and where did all the speed go? However,i still liked "The greater of two evils" even if Bush couldn't catch the high notes.