Spreading The Disease review by Anthrax

• Released: Oct 30, 1985
Anthrax: Spreading The Disease

First of all, I love the production on this album. The guitars sounds great, the bass is decent, the drums are clean, and the vocals are not slaughtered by effects. I would think that this album can be barely called thrash. Some songs are really thrashy ("Gung-Ho," "Aftershock"), yet some are not so much ("Medusa," "Lone Justice"). Good solos, good riffs, and good acoustic sections are all to be found on this album.

This is Anthrax's first album with singer Joey Belladonna. He fits the Anthrax sound perfectly, and sings great; one of the best around. The lyrics for this album are great, with very few "2 year old lyric" moments. The only reason why I rated this section "9," is because I am not particularly fond of the background vocals on a few songs. They sometimes sound like a robot (like on "Lone Justice"), yet sometimes they sound great, as found on "Gung-Ho."

I find this as one of Anthrax's best albums. It happens to contain one of their most famous songs "Madhouse," which I believe actually got some radio airplay. All the songs are so good actually, it is hard to find stand out tracks, although "A.I.R." off this album is probably my favorite Anthrax song. I love just about everything on this album. Lyrics, vocals, and production are just about perfect. For their second album, Anthrax did a mighty fine job.