Stomp 442 review by Anthrax

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
Anthrax: Stomp 442

My friend handed me this album and was like, 'Here, you can have it. Enjoy.' I was excited. Then I went home and listened to it. I must admit, I was shocked. The drastic change in vocal style surprised me. I'm used to Joey Belladonna's voice. It's softer and a bit more comical in style. But John Bush has a fierce, aggressive voice that I wasn't prepared for. Musically, this album is repetitive. A lot of the songs have the same sound. I noticed that I was singing the wrong lyrics to a song, simply because the music sounded the same. Part of this may have been the departure of Dan Spitz, the long-time lead guitarist. Overall, this album is a step in a new direction for Anthrax. And even though the style is very different, it deserves props as innovative.

The lyrics on this album are very different than customary Anthrax lyrics. These are more aggressive, in your face type lyrics, as opposed to the comical, care-free type vocals of early Anthrax. John Bush is a talented singer. His vocals match the more aggressive playing style of this album. And yet, I can't help but feel longing for the return of Belladonna. There's a part of me that knows Bush was right for this album, and then there's the part of me that just can't get over Joey.

This album was a huge step in a different direction for Anthrax. As compared to their earlier albums, it is much darker and more aggressive. In actuality, it reminds me very much of a Pantera album, more so than Anthrax. But, I can't help but be attracted to some of the finer points of this album. As replacement for Dan Spitz, Dimebag Darrell was brought in on a few songs. These songs, 'Riding Shotgun' and 'King Size' are pretty phenomenal. And the opening song, 'Random Acts of Senseless Violence' really helps to set the mood for the rest of the album. Overall, this is a quality metal album. Though it isn't what you would expect from Anthrax, it is worth having as something to headbang to. You can really get involved with some of the songs and the lyrics are just catchy.

SGofawesome
    coco-axeman wrote: Megadeth..... Risk
    Amen! I'd say these are the bad Big Four albums -Metallica with 2: ReLoad and St. Anger (Load was okay, but ReLoad makes it look way better.) -Megadeth with 2: Risk and The World Needs A Hero (A couple good songs on Hero, but not a good album as a whole.) -Anthrax with 3: Stomp 442, Volume 8, and We've Come For You All. (I really don't like any of Bush's material, but Sound of White Noise is a pretty good album.) -Slayer with 2: Diabolus in Musica and God Hates Us All (Again, some good songs on GHUA, but not a great album.) I would say GHUA takes the best "worst" album here, with The World Needs A Hero a close second.
    Silas S Thompso
    It's okay. You gotta be in the right mood (coming from a belladona/spitz fan. You have to realize that grunge was popular and they were trying to stay relevant. It didn't work. Hopefully with Nelson they'll get back on track. At least it's not as bad as volume 8 (country shit in that album). Some songs are pretty good. Not better than belladona or turbin stuff, but definately worth a few listens. The solo in Random acts of sensless violence is awsome. Not their best but it's no St. Anger or God Hates Us all. (megadeth have no bad albums. Anthrax have two).