Worship Music review by Anthrax

• Released: Sep 13, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Anthrax: Worship Music

While I like thrash metal, Anthrax comes in third behind Megadeth and then old Metallica. I wasn't expecting too much from "Worship Music" and so I was pleasantly surprised. "Worship Music" will never be my favorite thrash album but it is a very respectable album, especially after 8 years of nothing from Anthrax. There are 13 tracks on the album, and the album has a respectable length. "Worship Music" does seem like at times it isn't quite fast enough to be considered thrash metal, but only at certain points in the album.

The guitar sounds are okay, but to me it seems like the tone doesn't meet the standards that Anthrax has set with some of their previous releases. Possibly my feelings about the guitar tone are more my feelings about the overall mixing of the album. The drums leave me unimpressed while the drum parts are competent and fit the songs they aren't really inspiring. While I wasn't really impressed with the guitar tone on the album, the actual guitar work was competent and at points really impressive. I think this would definitely be close to my favorite Anthrax album.

The vocal delivery fits really well with the music. Joey Belladonna has returned since 2010 to provide vocals for Anthrax, and I couldn't be happier about that he is without a doubt my favorite Anthrax vocalist. According to interviews I read with Joey Belladonna, he had no creative input on this album and that is a shame. From what I read he came into the studio alone and tracked his vocals and e-mailed them to the rest of the band to approve. I've read conflicting accounts some say Belladonna had to come in and just record pre-written lyrics and other accounts say that he did rewrite some of the lyrics. Either way, I was impressed with Joey's vocal delivery.

As a rule, I'm not usually impressed with the lyrics in thrash metal with just a few exceptions. While none of the lyrics from "Worship Music" are mind blowing, they are all pretty solid. They do avoid the pitfall common to a lot of thrash metal lyrics as none of the lyrics seemed to be overly dramatic and stupid. All the lyrics felt right in the context of the music. I'm glad to see Joey Belladonna back with Anthrax and hopefully we won't have to wait 8 years for their next release.

The first track on the album, "Worship" is a complete waste of space on the album of 1 minute and 40 seconds. There are no lyrics, no real instrumentation just some very light ambient noise. My favorite song off of Worship Music" is "In The End". "In The End" is actually really impressive to me and I am going to be trying to tab it out. It really manages to have a creepy epic feel to it. My second favorite song is "I'm Alive". I really enjoyed the main riff from "The Constant" as well.

I'm really conflicted on how I feel about "Worship Music". On the one hand, most of the songs are really solid and a few I really like. On the other hand, there is some serious trash and waste of space on this album. "Hymn 1" and "Hymn 2" are as worthless as "Worship" and it kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth for so much filler in an album. I would much rather have received an Anthrax album with 9 solid songs on it instead of a 13 track album with a quarter of the album being filler trash. I'm an album type of person vs. a single song type of person and sometimes a few bad songs will ruin an album for me.

slash_015
    No Comments, yet? Normally i don't like Anthrax, but on this record, there are some really cool Songs (The Devil You Know is great). Sound: Very overproduced, but in a way very cool. BTW: Sry, for my English
    mlukeroberts222
    Good reviews. This album may be the best so far in 2011. 'In The End' truly is epic, while songs like 'Fight 'Em Till You Can't,' 'Hell On Earth' and 'The Constant' are all standouts. My only disagreement with the review was on the level of production....I actually like the production that was put into this album.
    katalyzt13
    Bananafish003 wrote: Sorry, but the first sentence was kind of jarring...are you just not counting Slayer? I would consider them possibly the best of the big four...
    I guess it is a matter of personal taste - they are my least favorite of the Big 4.
    Skuzzmo
    Just listened to it and I'm happy to say that I think it's quite good. Nice one chaps
    iup788
    cryptic-writing wrote: I like that there is a song called Judas Priest
    The band originally named themselves after the Bob Dylan song The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest.
    Bananafish003
    EpiExplorer
    I can understand what you mean by that, the album suffers from 'modern thrash syndrome'. Basically all the new tech that is here now wasn't around back in the 80's, so they relied on big trebly distortion for guitars. Now, like most modern thrash bands, the tone is TOO trebly, has practically no distortion and lacks any real energy...
    EpiExplorer
    Earth On Hell is awesome, its Anthrax meets Fear Factory. It even has blast beats! On a thrash album! How do reviewers miss nuggets of gold like this?
    zalant
    Honestly, with the first listen it hit me with just a ho-hum kind of impact, but now even on the second listen, it's really getting good. SO glad to have Joey back on an actual new Anthrax album!
    Battman1993
    metalhed0294
    xAntichristx79x wrote: metalhed0294 wrote: Okay, on my copy, it doesn't have Hymn 1 or 2 marked, and so when I listened to it, it said "In The End" was "Hymn 1", and then all the tracks got off, and then it said "Judas Priest" was "Hymn 2" and got all the tracks off by two. So, pretty much, "Revolution Screams" is track 11 instead of 13, and everything is mixed up. What I'm really trying to ask is, is anyone else having the same problem? Nope, mine was fine when I ripped it to my computer, but if you mean on the back of the actual cd, then yeah, hymn 1 and 2 aren't included which is kind of odd
    when i ripped it onto my computer, the tracklisting is just like on the back, with only 11 tracks. Basically, "Revolution Screams" was track 11, and tracks 12 and 13 were labled as "[untitled]". thx though.
    metalhed0294
    Battman1993 wrote: metalhed0294 : Okay, on my copy, it doesn't have Hymn 1 or 2 marked, and so when I listened to it, it said "In The End" was "Hymn 1", and then all the tracks got off, and then it said "Judas Priest" was "Hymn 2" and got all the tracks off by two. So, pretty much, "Revolution Screams" is track 11 instead of 13, and everything is mixed up. What I'm really trying to ask is, is anyone else having the same problem? I had the same problem. Just go into your music program and re-do the tracklist. That should fix your problem
    thx man. how exactly do i do that tho? i know nothing about computers.
    SGofawesome
    Before you call this a let down, you might want to check how high your standards are. Your standards SHOULD be low because they haven't released anything in 8 years, and their last three albums were disappointing. Although Joey is back, which raises the bar, the writers are still the same as they were before Joey. So considering that they haven't released much good since Sound of White Noise (which was okay at best), this record is amazing.
    Romper Stomper
    So far I've bought In the end(pretty good, not amazing) Devil you know(awesome hard rock) Earth on Hell(favorite so far, awesome)
    chiefmegadeth
    I Give Anthrax Album a 6/10 at the moment could grow on me but who knows? Only Track i Loved was 07 In the End "Amazing Song" But all the others are just Average at best? I love Anthrax Always have, but this album is a let down for me.
    xAntichristx79x
    krvolok
    I was never a huge Anthrax fan so it didn't really impress that much.Inclined to agree with the UG Team review more than the user's.