Worship Music review by Anthrax

• Released: Sep 13, 2011
Anthrax: Worship Music

Before I go on, I must admit that I never listened to much Anthrax before 2011. I liked Caught In a Mosh, Bring The Noise & I'm The Man, but I had never bothered to sit down and listen to all of their albums. I was more of a fan of Scott Ian than Anthrax as a whole. But that's the same way I feel about Slayer & Megadeth. However, I heard that Anthrax was recording a new album with a new singer, Dan Nelson. I looked up some of the new songs Anthrax performed with Nelson, and I got really excited. After Ian & Co. Booted Nelson's ass to the curb, I was worried about who would replace him. But when Anthrax revealed that Joey Belladonna was back in the band and would sing on what we now know as Worship Music, I was psyched beyond belief! I heard The Devil You Know on Youtube and was so excited about that one song that I ran out today and bought Worship Music. I'll simply state it, the polls might be closed on album of the year in 2011! But, I'll reserve making that distinction outright until I hear Machine Head's Unto The Locust. But, Worship Music is definitely the best Big 4 album to come out this year! The funny thing is, most of these songs aren't straight-up thrash metal rippers! Many songs are more groove than thrash, but it's still a guitar-driven album. The riffs are in abundance on Worship Music. From the Damned Things/ACDC-esque riff on The Devil You Know, to the slow-chug on In The End, guitars are on their peak on WM. The guitar solos also kill! Many people have complained about the guitar tone, but I like it. It sounds really beefy and heavy. Charlie assaults his drumkit on Earth On Hell, but also lays down some great grooves on The Constant and In The End. Surprisingly, whereas the bass guitar on most metal albums is mixed out of existence, you can plainly hear Frank's bass underneath the guitars. It's quite refreshing to hear the bass on a metal album!

If Worship Music isn't the Album Of The Year for 2011, Anthrax at least the 2011 MVP of the metal world. It's very nice to hear Joey singing in Anthrax. He belongs in Anthrax and nowhere else. Nobody else can quite fill his shoes in this band. But enough about that. Joey's voice is still as powerful and dynamic as ever. I don't know why more people haven't noticed the Dio resemblance in Joey's voice, because he hits a lot of Dio-esque notes on Worship Music. It does pain me a little that Joey was essentially brought in as a hired gun to sing already-written lyrics. Scott Ian writes most of the lyrics, which I never knew before. However, the lyrics that Scott wrote for Worship Music are beast! They're not ground-breaking or terribly original, but Joey can make anything sound good!

Yeah, I gave it a 10. I'm overwhelmed by the awesomeness that is Worship Music! It slays all other metal albums that have come out before it! I love the songs In The End, The Devil You Know, The Constant, and I'm Alive, but every song is great. I don't have any gripes about this album, it's perfect! I would congratulate the person who stole this if they stole it for having such good musical tastes! I'd replace it immediately if it were lost!

macca7even
    Well, no offence to UG, but that UG team reviewer can go suck balls, i just bought this album, im listening to it as i write this, and i absolutely love it. Worship/earth on hell is an absolutely epic, end of the world style opening and the devil you know, im alive, the giant and fight em till you cant are just metal quality, the hymn songs are strange but interesting and as a whole the album is just great. Best anthrax album since among the living id say, and definetly the best album to come out in 2011!
    SGofawesome
    crackjunior1 wrote: But, Worship Music is definitely the best Big 4 album to come out this year! I loved the album, but it was the only one released in 2011 by any of the Big 4 so...
    Lulu and Th1rt3en were released this year...
    matt-attack
    SGofawesome
    matt-attack wrote: This album was written without belladonna and re-recorded with him right? I think the next one they make is what I'll judge Anthrax by.
    The lyrics were re-written, for the most part, by Belladonna.
    peachesenregali wrote: Love Anthrax....this is terrible.
    You're a Bush fan, eh?
    exodethtallica
    i love this album and they sound awesome live still. on a side note, new bands should be embarrassed that they cant out perform the "old guys."
    westley23j
    ok. putting up my flame shield, but i havent ever really gotten into Anthrax. not that i dont LIKE them, i just havent given them a chance. is this a good introduction album for them? if not, which one is?
    ordinary_story
    Not a huge Anthrax fan and this album is pretty decent but I absolutely loved the "We've Come For You All" album.
    crackjunior1
    But, Worship Music is definitely the best Big 4 album to come out this year!