Death Of A Nation [DVD] review by Anti-Flag

• Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Anti-Flag: Death Of A Nation [DVD]

The sound was terrible for the live portions of the DVD. Without too much technical knowledge it seemed to me as if they had just used the camera's recording device instead of plugging into the soundboard. Anti-Flag has an amazing sound live, but the method of recording made watching the live portions hard to enjoy. The sound quality was much worse than the live portions of Anti-Flag's Mobilize CD and just plain awful compared to the live portions of their A Benefit For Victims of Violent Crime album. There were some interviews and a few music videos that had excellent sound quality. Those were enjoyable, but overshadowed by the terrible sound quality of the live videos. To get a feel for the sound quality look up "Anti-Flag live" and watch the recordings people have done on their camcorders or cellphones to get a proper idea of the sound quality. They also presented a live Radio show that had a few songs, that was interesting and the sound was tolerable and worthwhile. It was acoustic so Pat was a no show. I was generally disappointed because I got the DVD to hear and watch the live portions, but they were almost impossible to enjoy, and that's coming from a punk fan who can put up with most sounds.

Content — 7
The content and the ideas behind it were alright, but the poor execution was disappointing. They offered interview that gave you a feel for the band. It was interesting to see their ideas on various issues and to hear them actually talk about them instead of just picking up their ideas from the lyrics of their songs. They offered several music videos (Death of a Nation, Turncoat, and Post-War Breakout), which were fun to watch due to the fact they had better definition that Youtube offered. Those were excellent. They also offered a behind the scenes look at the Turncoat music video which was humorous to see how they all worked together. It wasn't too sophisticated though. They also offered 23 live videos, which have already been discussed. They were pretty poor quality. One of the better additions was a live Radio show where the sound was good and you got to see the band "live." That was fairly worthwhile.

Production Quality — 7
The live Radio show was very well done and so were the music videos, but that should be expected, since we do live in the 21st century. The interview were fairly well done and you could hear all that was said. The 23 live tracks were extremely disappointing in the fact that they seemed to have been filmed spur of the moment and with a camcorder. In the end much of it seemed to be thrown together. A few parts were well done, but they were the ones anyone would expect to see. I wish that more time and thought had been put into the DVD so it would be more worth buying.

I got this DVD at the same time that I purchased AFI's DVD "I Heard a Voice." I was blown away by the quality of the AFI live recordings, so I proceeded to watch the live track of Death of a Nation. The first track was poorly done, so I skipped ahead hoping that a mistake had been made. No in the end I was mistaken. Not a single track from their live shows had any real quality. That really disappointed me, because it really did not showcase a true Anti-Flag show. The sound was terrible and the video was not much better. So I went and watched the other parts. They were alright, but I could not shake the feeling that I had been cheated. If you are a true fan and have 20 bucks to lose, buy it otherwise I would suggest renting it from Netflix and returning it after a watch or two. If you can manage it. I hope that Anti-Flag learned there lesson and will make a better DVD in the future. Until then we'll just have to wait.