Death Of A Nation [DVD] Review

artist: Anti-Flag date: 03/11/2009 category: compact discs
Anti-Flag: Death Of A Nation [DVD]
Release Date: October 26, 2004
Death of a Nation is a live DVD by Anti-Flag. It was filmed throughout The Terror State tour at a variety of North American shows. Death of a Nation features a variety of performances in different types of venues.
 Content: 7
 Production Quality: 7
 7.9
 6.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Death Of A Nation [DVD] Reviewed by: Reinventing Tom, on march 11, 2009

Sound: The sound was terrible for the live portions of the DVD. Without too much technical knowledge it seemed to me as if they had just used the camera's recording device instead of plugging into the soundboard. Anti-Flag has an amazing sound live, but the method of recording made watching the live portions hard to enjoy. The sound quality was much worse than the live portions of Anti-Flag's Mobilize CD and just plain awful compared to the live portions of their A Benefit For Victims of Violent Crime album. There were some interviews and a few music videos that had excellent sound quality. Those were enjoyable, but overshadowed by the terrible sound quality of the live videos. To get a feel for the sound quality look up "Anti-Flag live" and watch the recordings people have done on their camcorders or cellphones to get a proper idea of the sound quality. They also presented a live Radio show that had a few songs, that was interesting and the sound was tolerable and worthwhile. It was acoustic so Pat was a no show. I was generally disappointed because I got the DVD to hear and watch the live portions, but they were almost impossible to enjoy, and that's coming from a punk fan who can put up with most sounds. // 5

Overall Impression: I got this DVD at the same time that I purchased AFI's DVD "I Heard a Voice." I was blown away by the quality of the AFI live recordings, so I proceeded to watch the live track of Death of a Nation. The first track was poorly done, so I skipped ahead hoping that a mistake had been made. No in the end I was mistaken. Not a single track from their live shows had any real quality. That really disappointed me, because it really did not showcase a true Anti-Flag show. The sound was terrible and the video was not much better. So I went and watched the other parts. They were alright, but I could not shake the feeling that I had been cheated. If you are a true fan and have 20 bucks to lose, buy it otherwise I would suggest renting it from Netflix and returning it after a watch or two. If you can manage it. I hope that Anti-Flag learned there lesson and will make a better DVD in the future. Until then we'll just have to wait. // 8

Comments