For Blood and Empire review by Anti-Flag

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
Anti-Flag: For Blood and Empire

Anti-Flag's newest album, "For Blood And Empire," has its ups and downs, but when the CD is done spinning, you'll have enjoyed yourself. The album kicks off with the energetic "I'd Tell You But". A catchy, high-string, guitar riff comes through the speakers as an addictive powerchord rytym plays. Anti-Flag is known for their skill at creating a great riff while keeping things simple, and they once again deliver. Musically, "For Blood And Empire" is great. The guitar work is simple but, as stated earlier, catchy. Most of the songs on this album display a maturing Anti-Flag. Justin Sane's guitar work just keeps going uphill. The same with Chris Head. As for #2, his bass work is something I look up to. His style adds complexity to some of these songs. Pat Thetic is a great drummer, and he does well here.

The lyrics on "For Blood And Empire" take a stand against the Bush Regime's (excuse me, I meant "Administration's") war in Iraq. "Confessions Of An Economic Hitman" deals with exactly what the title says (in fact, the name of the album was taken from a line in this song). Probably the most powerful song on this album is "Depleted Uranium Is A War Crime". Here, Justin Sane directly addresses the issue of using depleted uranium in ammo rounds. Nowhere on "For Blood And Empire" does it appear that Anti-Flag are going to back down in the fight against tyranny.

However, some of the songs on this album are just mediocre. "War Sucks, Let's Party" lacks the attraction that many of the other tracks have. I can honestly say that this song bores me. Overall, the album can't be labeled a masterpiece, but rather a large collection of great singles, and a couple of filler tracks. Anti-Flag, after "The Terror State", has been labeled "sellouts" by some hardcore, punk fans. "For Blood and Empire", it should be noted, is quite polished. Justin Sane's vocals are a bit less rash than in previous albums. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Anti-Flag has sold out, but I will admit that the new production quality and sound is much different than their older albums, such as "Die for Your Government" and "A New Kind Of Army". I rather enjoyed the change. Overall, a good album. If you are a new Anti-Flag fan looking for a starting place, get the CD. If you're a spike-haired punk who has his or her head buried in The Sex Pistols, Operation Ivy, The Dead Kennedys, and only likes pre-"Underground Network" Anti-Flag CDs, this is not going to be your favorite.

.:SwAmPmOnKeY:.
    I really like this cd, i've tabbed out all the songs for bass... but i like terror state better, Operation Iraqi Liberation (O.I.L.) rules!!!!!
    scult73
    oh man i love the song emigre it's amazing oonce again Anti-Flag out did themselves!
    Nero
    It's amazing how so many people label them, trash talk them etc for 'selling out' without ever digging up even a bit of background info on them. It's sad, you're just as hypocritical if not more so, than you accuse them of being. And now a quote from an Interview Justin Sane did: "Q: So how do you feel being on a major label with people like Christina Aguilara etc etc. Justin Sane: Well, I have no problem using the money those people make to help me send out my message and make the kind of music I want to make". Cameron pointed out they had full creative control over the project when they signed to RCA, and they had written the album prior. Than we have people like clashclash who just bash and complain and say things like 'not true fans' because there on a major label. Has there music changed? Has there message changed? Are they singing about chicks and skateboarding and crying over it? You're not the true fan man, you've taken culture jamming and the counter culture to far to the extreme that you've lost sight of what really matters. The message! They're getting there ideaologies out to a wider audience, and somethings wrong with that? Just because more people know about it and its not so 'under ground' anymore, its deemed as bad? Ha! If you think the music has always been bad, thats your opinion and thats fine. I couldn't care less. But to deem them sell-outs and accuse people who have been listening to them for 10 years (like myself) not true fans because we're still supporting them because they are singing about stuff that REALLY matters, well thats just stupid. Your thoughtless comments are bull, and your false accusations mean you care more about the pollitics of music (whos on what label, playing with who etc etc) than the pollitics and issues that are ACTUALLy effecting us. Not a true fan if you ask me.
    Bad Religion
    unfortunately this album has raked in a LOT of posers, it's horrible, they don't even realize the album is political. christ it's so sad. good album and i still love anti-flag
    clashclash
    oi nero boy, u read my comment wrong, am saying any1 who calls them sell outs r not the true fans. I bloody love this band my fav band around now
    lucky_number_13
    this album is pretty good, i bought it the day it came out, and the political statements are in your face thru out the cd, pure anti-flag