The Bright Lights Of America review by Anti-Flag

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Anti-Flag: The Bright Lights Of America

How to describe the sound on this album? It's about as perfect as it gets. That, however, is not necessarily good news. The band has also added a lot of sound-effects to their music, making it sound less punk than what many would have expected. It's isn't all bad however, for example the children choir used in the song "Good and Ready" (it might be a cliche, but it touched me anyway) and the perfectionism, no matter if it pushes the punkish sound a little bit in the background, makes the bands messages more clear than ever. Another thing I noticed about this album is the lenght of all the songs. Almost every song are more than 3 minutes long, which would have been a good thing if they were a bit innovative. When they mostly sound the same all the way through, however, it just gets boring.

The Lyrics are as good as ever. Maybe even better. Issues of war (of course), the environment, the beauty hystery, death penalty and our (the grown up populations) responsibility to take care of the world we are supposed to hand over to our children. What about the vocals then? Well, they sound about the same as they always have. Which is exellent, since both Justin Sanes complaining and angst-filled vocals and Chris #2's more angry voice are perfect at getting their message through. This is an angry record demaning change, bothing when it comes to lyrics and the sound.

Anti-Flag has been active for quite a few years now, and produces a lot of great records. The Bright Lights of America is another good record, but compared to Underground Network and The Terror State it doesn't really have much to offer. Some songs, however, makes the album worthwile: The Bright Lights of America (which is also the title of the album); a song about how much pain and insecureness the beauty hystery can bring is a pretty good, straight foreward punkrock song. Vices is also pretty good, though not good enough to really stand out. The Modern Rome Burning is one of the best songs of the album, and the most typical Anti-Flag song in my opinion. If You Wanna Steal (You Better Learn How to Lie) is anoter awesome song, actually one of the bands best of all times. And, finally, we got The Smartest Bomb, which is the most angry, most punkish song of the album. Awesome. Then again, there are some bad songs as well. Good Ready (exept for the part with the children choir), No Warning and Go West are all terrible songs, which also are way to long. All in all, the album is worth picking up for anyone who is already a fan of the band. If you aren't however, it is better to go for Underground Network or The Terror State instead.

Adam_Harrison9
    The majority of people who have commented insulting the new album and condemning it's new direction obviously have very limited knowledge of musicianship.
    Adam_Harrison9
    Jau_Peacecraft wrote: And mainstream apologists for crappy punk bands give glowing reviews yet again. I'm sorry, but anyone with a critical mind can see (or rather, hear) this is a terribly made album.
    Honestly, you are a moron. With your psuedo-intellectual, holier-than-thou statements. Fuck off, who cares? Just Inane will can play his instrument better than you could ever play any, same with Chris Barker on bass. Now shut the **** up, and review the songs for what they are, and not what you think they should be.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    Yes, I'm a moron for expressing my opinion, which oddly enough in this case, isn't exactly being universally rejected. My opinion is subjective, so get over yourself, because I'm not forcing you to subcribe to my opinion; however, it's quite obiouvs you feel the need to make others (for example, me) to subscribe to your opinions, because you're standing up for some unspoken "group" that is supposedly being oppressed by my opinions. Also, guess what? I posted a review, so I think I already did review the songs; one of my main points was that the songs were so mediocre (with literally one exception) that I really couldn't tell which song was which unless I watched the playlist change. I will not shut the **** up, and neither will you, so I'm sorry I couldn't prove your point by being some type of ass that you seem to think I am, because I will not tell you to shut the **** up. Also, the people condemning the "new direction" are expressing their opinions, myself included. Guess what guys? The Internet lets me say my opinion, whether you like it or not, as it does for yours. Get off the training wheels, and find an actual argument next time. That being said, this album didn't grow on me, the b-sides were no better, and if anyone wants to have a shouting match at me for expressing my opinion, save yourself some time & go yell at a wall, because this is waste of my time.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    * .end sarcasm throughout my post before I'm burned at the stake for not agreeing with certain UG users.
    sev945
    i'm not going to comment on what their beliefs are when going to a Major label or state my opinion on if their new or old stuff is better. but this cd is bland and they could have done so much better.
    acid eaters
    Jau_peacecraft is telling the truth this album was A HUGE DISAPOINTMENT. i'm a huge fan of anti-flag and comparing this to any of the older albums this one should be tossed out the window. i'm not saying i wanna hear the same old anti flag but they should've tried something new something different this way too generic and boring. i couldn't believe my ears when i heard this, this is like anti flag's st.anger and i hope their next album will redeem them for this generic piece of shit
    The_Roth_KungFu
    The_Roth_KungFu
    A6StringWorld
    The_Roth_KungFu wrote: And on another note, I've always found it stupid when people call political punk bands sellouts when they switch to a major level. Isn't that the whole point of political punk? You're trying to send out a message, what's the point of continuing to pound that message into people who already live and die by it? If anything, any political punk band that doesn't strive for mainstream success, is useless.
    Thats true, bands that have a message in their songs like Anti-Flag/Flobots ect. are better to have in the mainstream music scence then the f***** Jonas Brothers or some band that sings about their last middle school dance.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    The_Roth_KungFu wrote: Christ, shut the **** up Jau_Peacecraft. Christ, you've said what you've said. Stop trying to defend your opinion and sway people to think like you. You have your opinions, they have theirs. If you don't like it, don't ****ing try to change it. Cause it just makes you a douche.
    Seeing how this is the Internet, and therefore, serious business, I welcome any & all attempts at "shutting me up". I don't care if people are swayed by me at all. I wasn't trying to change it, not anymore than the usual UG user who submits a review based on their own opinions.
    Roth, you've said what you've said, stop trying to defend your opinion & sway people to think like you. You have your opinions, they have their's. If you don't like it, don't ****ing try to change it. Woah, Deja vu.