The People Or The Gun review by Anti-Flag

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
Anti-Flag: The People Or The Gun

Anti-Flag signed to a major label in 2005 and were accused of "selling out". They released two albums on RCA and then returned to SideOneDummy an indie label. Anti-Flags return to the indie circut was still the fast, brilliant Punk Rock they put out on previous albums! I will go through each one by one: 01. Sodom, Gomorrah, Washington D.C: a great track to open the album. Chris #2 rips through the verses and unleashes a chorus that you can listen to over and over. One flaw n the song is, the chorus could have been repeated instead of being played just once! 9/10 02. The Economy Is Suffering... Let It Die: by far the best song on the album! Justin Sane sings through the first few seconds of the song and then comes a great intro. He sings through the verse and then, on comes a chorus the size of Canada! The gang vocals are amazing in this song! Chris #2 has a great voice. The end of the song will leave you wondering about the state of the world! 10/10 03. The Gre(A)t Depression: this is a great track, although the drums in the verse didn't have to be over played! Near the end of the song, a sort of bridge, has great powerful vocals! 9/10 04. We Are The One: a big punk rock anthem, a chorus the size of China. Sits in the same league with powerful punk anthems like I'm Not Okay by My Chemical Romance, Ready To Fall by Rise Against and Fall Back Down by Rancid as well as Anti-Flags finest moment, another punk anthem, The Press Corpse. Great song! 10/10 05. You Are Fired: a great, fast, angry Hardcore song clocking in at 1:00, fast drums and nice guitar and bass playing! Some parts were overdone a bit, great song though! 8/10 06. The First Night: nice, melodic, Punk rock song, with a Flogging Molly feel to it! The chorus again, is great! Anti-Flag can really write a powerful, catchy yet hardcore song all in one! 10/10 07. No War Without Warriors: this is a fast hardcore song, with fast vocals, it reminds me of the early days of My Chemical Romance. One flaw here, the chorus could have been better! It's only a few shouts you can barely hear, it's suprising because Anti-Flag have songs with amazing choruses! 7/10 08. When All The Lights Go Out: the intro has a Rise Against taste in it, then the voice comes and it's the Anti-Flag we all know and love! The chorus was catchy but not as powerful as the other choruses on the CD. 9/10 09. On Independance Day: Chris #2 has an AMAZING bassline at the start and rips through the verse with a Lars Freidriksen style o vocals. The chorus... I'm not sure what I think of it, it's good, but it could be better, Anti-Flag have the potential to make a great song they used about 80% of it on this song. 8/10 10. The Old Guard: the "last" track on the album, it's the longest track. It's pure genius! I love everything about the song! The verses are brilliant and the chorus is great! Another punk anthem right there! 10/10 Hidden Track, Teenage Kennedy Lobotomy: this is a fast hardcore song, Rancid style, a big chorus of gang vocals but could have neen better, the middle was slightly messy. 8/10

The lyrcs are all about the US bailouts, but they still have the good ol' Anti-Flag style of writting! Anti-Flags lyrics NEVER EVER cease to amaze me. Their lyrics have changed my opinions, Anti-Flag and Rise Against can be credited for opening my eyes and making me see the problems in the world today!

I can say if you arre a fan of Rise Against, Rancid or Against Me! this album's for you, even if you just want some good ol' Punk Rock, buy this album now! The highlights of the CD: The Economy Is Suffering... Let It Die and This Is The First Night. I don't hate anything about the album, it's great, a Punk Rock classic! I would buy this album again if something happened to my copy! I'd buy it 10 times!

gnfnrs
    RichyHowardBass wrote: anyone else think #2 should sing all anti flag songs? i like justin, but he's kinda lame in comparison. for example if you've ever seen a-f live, number 2 has a lot more energy and passion, and i think it's incredible how he can play such intricate basslines whilst singing in a different rhythm alltogether. plus i think he's the better singer of the two.
    No i think Justin should still sing
    cassie33
    I really like this album and I'm happy Anti-Flag are back to doing what they do best. I thought For Blood And Empire was pretty good but I agree Bright Lights wasn't that great. It did have a couple of good songs though.
    I agree with you about Chris # 2 being multi talented (being able to sing and play such great bass at the same time). However I think Justin is pretty good too. I just think having two singers makes their music more exciting.
    abbicory
    It is really great that you share for us such useful stuff. Thanks a lot one more time for the useful information and I will be waiting for more great news from you in the nearest future. Best Regards ! Cheap Gun Safes