Their System Doesn't Work For You review by Anti-Flag

• Released: Jan 1, 1998
Anti-Flag: Their System Doesn't Work For You

I dunno where this album comes in the anti-flag scheme of things, all I know is that it's ridiculously good. From the first second of 'I Can't Stand Being With You' to the last drawn out note of 'I'm Feeling Slightly Violent', Anti-Flag spew out a continuous stream of non-conformist political punk in the form of intricate guitar riffs, lightning-speed drumming, and some of the most skillfull bassing I've ever heard.

The best song for lyrics is 'Indie sux, hardline sux, emo sux, you suck!' which is great for anyone who's ever taken a moment to think about the state that modern music's got itself into. Great impression of an emo kid about half way through which had me in stiches the first time I listened to it. Apart from that, good all round lyrics with some ace lyrics in 'Betty Sue Is Dead' and 'Weve Got His Gun'. The reason that the lyric section only gets 8 is because theres a lot of repetition which really does my head in. Still, good lyrics when theyre not being repeated.

This album isn't the best Anti-Flag album, but that's not to say it isn't amazing, it's just not as good as 'The Terror State' in my opinion. Still, the whole album is executed with the usual Anti-Flag precission and skill. Best song on the album has to be 'We've Got His Gun', which kicks in with an amazing bass riff straight away. I loved the impossible bass riffs on many songs and the cool guitar solo in 'Their System Doesn't Work For You'. Nothing to dislike about this album really, except maybe the repetition of lyrics. Another great album from the best band I've heard in the past 6 months.