I Am a Bird Now review by Antony and the Johnsons

• Released: Feb 1, 2005
Antony and the Johnsons: I Am a Bird Now

I was hesitant about buying this album. I'd heard countless reviews that had compared Antony to the likes of Nina Simone and Jeff Buckley, and was unsure whether the CD would match up to these comparisons. I was in no way disappointed. When I first heard Antony's voice, I was again unsure, this time as to whether it was like the reviews had suggested, but listening further, his voice has a haunting beauty that really pulls you into the music and the meaning of the song.

The lyrics in this album also cover haunting topics, such as gender issues, in 'For Today I Am A Boy' for instance, "One day I'll grow up, I'll be a beautiful woman. For today I am a boy." This song in particular is extremely moving, it just captures all of his emotions, and you can just feel his pain. His music is in a league of it's own, lyrics included. The simplicity of the meaning of this song is amazing.

This album was a big surprise to me. I listened to the whole thing without having heard any of his work, and I think this was the best way to do it. It was such a huge shock to hear such beautiful music, with memorable melodies and hauntingly beautiful vocals. Antony combines his talents with the likes of Rufus Wainwright, Boy George and Lou Reed on guitar, but his impression on this album is overwhelming. If you want to listen to 10 beautiful tracks and broaden your musical taste, this album is for you. What have you got to lose?

utopian
    Man, I didn't know what to think when I first heard his voice. It's all ethereal and feminine and somehow has the effect of overlapping itself, like an instant harmony. Maybe it's the speed of his vibrato. Dude.
    utopian
    Sorry, that last comment was meant as a resounding compliment to the music. I wasn't very clear. Plus, I happen to enjoy consecutive posts. Bonus!