Metal On Metal review by Anvil

Anvil: Metal On Metal

This is everything metal is and should if you don't have this record in your collection then your not a true metal head. Metal On Metal is the sound of heavy metal there just as important to metal as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Motrhead. When you listen to this album you will know the true meaning of metal. Whether it's killer riffs, guitar solos or sick drum beats Avil will deliver it to you. They have a great sound it reminds me of like early Judas Priest Records But Heavier.

The lyrics are great and the vocals blend with the rest of the band nicely. They have all the heavy metal lyrics you would expect from songs like Metal On Metal, Jackhammer, Tease Me, Please Me to 666. Definitely not the greatest singer I have ever herd but he fits in nice with the songs and does a damn good job.

I would rate this up there with all the early Priest and Iron Maiden records. I love the Riffs on this album and all the Solos and great drumming by Robb Reiner. The songs that really stood out on this album where Metal on Metal, Stop Me, Jackhammer, Scenery and 666. So if you are a fan of heavy metal bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Motrhead you can't go wrong with this album. If this were stolen I would hunt the person down that stole it and murder them with an anvil and if it was lost I would without a doubt by it again.

jeowy
    ChemicalFire
    *facepalm*
    chucknorris69
    Scottzar
    Actually, the Brazilian band Stress was the first to play thrash back in 1974. Not Anvil.
    Scottzar
    Also, as far as I know, thrash wasn't really influenced by them. Dave Mustaine listened to Venom, Priest, Diamond Head, and Mercyful mostly that influenced him. I think Anvil is a half decent band, the album probably deserves a 5-6.
    thedevil
    Anvil is pretty good. not my fave metal band, but good. and metal on metal is an awesome album, but your review is shit. and for the guys saying metallica was the first thrash band and shit, all I have to say is this: Kill 'em all : 1983 Metal on Metal:1982. AND they released a slightly less thrash album in 1981. so no, anvil influenced metallica.
    TheEchomaker
    K!d_MeTaL wrote: this review makes me want to shit in my hand and slap a fat guy's backside
    LOL!
    Slashness
    [quote]Abacus11 wrote: I'll admit I haven't seen every interview Metallica ever did. I haven't been a Metallica fan since the Black Album and when that came out I was 13. So at 13 you were already a pretentious prick?
    slippyjones
    rr623
    awesome album,bad review but anyone who says this album is overrated is retarted,and i think they are finally getting what they deserve
    superubercool
    slippyjones wrote: I think Anvil is pretty good, not excellent, the doc definatly got their career moving again. Their dedication alone is something to behold. Honestly, how many people can say they've been trying for 25 years. "Lips" might not be a great singer but he is a very good guitarist, and this is what this site is supposed to be about, right? Not to mention Robb Reiner as a drummer, Jesus Christ, that's a bad ass.
    I sure as hell agree. The documentary was great and made me really appreciate the band. Lips singing is okay, but it still reeks of true metal.
    Abacus11 wrote: Saw an interveiw with Metallica and they did say they love Anvil and Anvil was an influence on them. This was back in the 80's so maybe you're too young to know anything about metal. I'll admit I haven't seen every interview Metallica ever did. I haven't been a Metallica fan since the Black Album and when that came out I was 13. I don't see how not being aware of every interview done by a band that has bored me for the past 18 years is indicative of me being "too young to know anything about metal." You assume way too much. I still think that Anvil mostly sucks and VH1 is using them to cash in on metal nostalgia.
    You're kind of a dick. Have you even seen the documentary? They may not be amazing they're pretty damn good and committed to what they have. It's people like you who shoot them down that made their lives hell. Watch the documentary. Then you'll understand. Oh, and this review. It's okay. Too many spelling errors. And you don't HAVE to own this album to be a true metal head. But it's pretty much almost required for your collection of metal albums. ROCK ON ANVIL!
    Anvilster
    not only did Metal On Metal come out in early 1982, but Forged In Fire, which is altogether heavier, came out in early 1983. Kill Em All didn't come out until december of that year, and Only the guitar work on Kill Em All could be considered thrash. Lars is a terrible drummer, didn't really get his chops down till Master Of Puppets. Slayer and Anthrax also dropped their debuts in late 1983. Anthrax started out playing ANVIL cover tunes and Charlie Benante considered himself purely a tribute to Robb Reiner. Dave Lombardo didn't have his chops down till Hell Awaits. ANVIL started in 1973 under the name LIPS. Many of the songs on Metal On Metal were already written and being played live as early as 1977, including heavy tunes like Jackhammer and March Of The Crabs. The record company refused to release them on Hard N' Heavy, thinking they were too heavy for the market. Also, ANVIL was the only major speed metal band to release true speed metal in the 90's. Kreator and other european bands took a more death metal approach. Slayer played hardcore. And the rest of the big four lightened their sound to try and compete with grunge, an epic fail. ANVIL... REAL METAL!
    doomsdayscottie
    hey guys, you know, you should comment on the album. not the review. This album is good. not the greatest ever, but still awesome. and dont say their "Overrated" just because theyre popular. that makes you part of the problem the problem being pretentious music snobs who are more suited for being pummeled to death in a mosh pit than calling themselves metal heads. there are things that truly are overrated however. Slipknot is overrated for example. not because theyre popular, but because they arent as good as everyone says they are. they also set a crappy new standard for metal: "lets sound as main stream as possible! forget playing good stuff like Metallica or Black Tide or Amon Amarth! let's play like shit and have a ****ing guy with a goddamn turn table in our poor excuse for a band!" [/rant]
    hawkdude9
    fanboys: shut up. haters: shut up. its a good, fun, but most of all, metal album. i think one of the biggest reasons this band is having a resurgence is because people miss the old, classic metal, and this band was widely disregarded in that. in the grand scheme of things, no this band isnt the best thing ever. but theyre pretty damn good, especially in this day and age.
    Banti
    March of the Crabs is awesome, don't know if it was on this album though... I saw Anvil live last weekend at Graspop. They were alot more fun than most of the other bands there, like Slayer, who're supposed to be a Big Four band but still screwed up their sound, i couldn't even hear the guitar in the first few songs until Kerry and Jeff realised 'oh wait, i can't hear myself playing'. And it was really just boring to watch... Anvil, on the other hand, had a perfect show, Lips even played with a vibrator which was awesome. The sound was good too. They've been holding on to their own style for about 30 years because they had no influence by music companies trying to change them.
    badacidvacation
    That movie was awesome, one of the best docs ever made...next to my all time favorite documentary: King of Kong
    K!d_MeTaL
    this review makes me want to shit in my hand and slap a fat guy's backside
    megaironpriest
    I love this band soooo much (one of the few good Canadian metal bands) but they aren't as good as early Maiden or Priest. Early metal is my favorite type of music and Anvil isn't the best but still amazing none the less!!!
    3Dpaper
    metallica?
    oxymorcide
    3Dpaper wrote: jeowy wrote: these guys invented thrash, you idiots! and even if you dont care much for thrash as a genre, its influence on other metal is profound. metallica?
    exactly...i had hardly heard of this band. my ass they invented trash metal. there is always SLAYER.
    Jobforashredder
    Anvil Influenced Slayer
    Abacus11
    Awful review. "just as important to metal as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Motrhead" ??? What.
    cotton3434
    Generic fanboyish review. Congrats.
    That, or I just listen to (what I see as) better music.
    Jobforashredder
    without Anvil you wouldn't have bands like anthrax Slayer or Metallica
    Genghis_khan
    chucknorris69 wrote: The big four thrash bands ripped these guys sound and left them for dead. Anvil was way before metallica Slayer and Anthrax , and yeah this guy wrote it like garbage but these guys invented thrash get your metal history right.
    So true, Anvil started something that evolved to the Thrash Metal many of us love. Well, I would not say as much as the 4 big ripped Anvil, but, I sure find funny that while many big names in Thrash and metal in general are paying respect to this band, the "true" fans seem not just to dont know about them but even hate them! Without this guys it would be hard to visualize Thrash Metal the way it is now. Metal On Metal is not even in my Top 50 Thrash Metal albums but its influence is there in many of the most succesful bands around. BTW the review sucks badly.
    moses the ram
    St3vo88
    and they suck live. saw them with ac/dc and nobody was paying any attention to them
    Bighair
    YOU'RE! YOU ARE! Jesus. Shit review by the way.
    MethLabForCutie
    "influence" and "good" are two COMPLETELY different things... why is a shit review like this on the front page?
    FearOfTheDuck
    moses the ram wrote: call me a metallica fan or whatever you will but i just saw anvil open for acdc a last week, and they sucked they looked (and sounded) like a bad attempt at spinal tap (they sang a song about mothra) the music was really awkward and not fun at all to listen to the other opening band was some unknowns from nothern ireland and they were much better
    I saw AC/DC twice this year and the Irish group are called The Answer, but they weren't that great. At Wembley Stadium we had a really bad group called the Subways as well as the Answer, terrible! AC/DC blew my mind though!
    Rhyan_EG
    If they were just as important as Iron Maiden or Motorhead and shit, then they would still be relevant today. However, a number of heavy metal musicians claim that Anvil was a huge influence on early thrash. They're making a comeback of sorts with the movie that was released on them, but there's no way they're as important as Iron Maiden.
    bloodbath519
    Abacus11 wrote: I really don't know how much Anvil "influenced" Slayer, Metallica or Anthrax. These bands have been around for almost 30 years and have cited many influences (Venom, Diamond Head, etc.) but never any mention of Anvil until VH1 makes a movie about them and releases an album of theirs. I think its more a case of clever marketing by VH1 than the secret underdog root-of-all-metal story that they want people to believe.