Apocalyptica Review

Released: May 10, 2005
Label: Universal
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal
Apocalyptica once more published a great rock album that doesn?t fit in any genre besides the Apocalyptica-genre.
 8.4
 8.5
 8.2
Apocalyptica Reviewed by: hak_hap, on july 05, 2005

Sound: Apocalyptica is a band that developes with each new record. Their music sounds awesome, because they use absolutely unique technics, because they play a unique instrument (well, unique in heavy metal category), the cello. Having Ville Valo of "HIM," Lauri Ylunen of "The Rasmus," and Marta of "Die Happy" to sing and support the songs "Bittersweet," "Life Burns" and "How Far" was a brilliant idea. Eicca, Paavo and Perttu are awesome musicians and still I'm amazed how the can play so good while baging their heads and shaking their hair. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics by Ville Valo and Marta are excellent, Ville should be just as creative for his own band HIM. Lauri Ylunen, well, he has a unique voice and a special appearance. But his lyrics are a bit superficial. // 8

Overall Impression: Apocalyptica are not comparable with any other band. They are geart, what more can I say. Since their first album "Apocalyptica play Metallica with four cellos" they developed to a "heavy classic" band, or I would call it "heavy metal," just played with cellos. They created very smart and technically very thought out (also far out)sounds and the new album is worth the price. I would buy it again if I lost it. I bought the album "Cult" two times. There's nothing about the album that I don't like, except for one thing: I think that Apocalyptica will make a special edition soon. They did that before so I'm still gonna wait till I buy it. // 10

Apocalyptica Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 04, 2006

Sound: At first, the idea of metal songs without electrics seemed impossible to me. The idea of songs like one without the electrics semmed weird. Then, just to see whether it was worth buying, I borrowed the disc from my friend. The first time I heard it, I didn't like it one bit. But then due to my love of experimentation I went on and heard it again. This time I thought it wasn't that bad. And now I think it is decent, it is an album for those who don't mind trying something new. // 7

Lyrics: This album, at least the songs I heard are all instrumental. Thankfully, otherwise if they would have made a mess of it. The whole beauty of this band is that it has the ability to play metal bands like metallica on four cellos! // 8

Overall Impression: It doesn't stand a chance against the originals, (obviously), but it is a variation from what one would have expected. As I said, if you don't mind experimenting, then this is an album you go out and buy. On the other hand if you are the kind of rigid metal lover that cannot stand the thought of covering One without lyrics or Kirk's solos then this not the kind of album you should gout and buy this. // 8

Comments