Worlds Collide review by Apocalyptica

• Released: Sep 17, 2007
Apocalyptica: Worlds Collide

Worlds Collide is the 6th studio album from the Finnish symphonic metal cello masters, Apocalyptica. (now that's a mouthfull) The music styles in this album are very unique. A lot of the songs traverse along a very similar path, and in this rare case it is a very good thing. Nearly all songs in this album have incredibly heavy, balls to the wall playing, to the extent where when I first heard the album I refused to believe the absence of any and all guitar playing. Apocalyptica have managed to make a very epic yet very heavy record in spite of not having a guitarist or bassist to begin with.

As Apocalyptica doesn't have a vocalist, all singing performed on Worlds Collide is performed by guest appearances. The album for the most part, is instrumental, thus only 4 of the 11 songs have lyrics. Unfortunately, the one notable setbacks in the album are the tracks with singing. This is due to the fact that for some strange enough reason, these tracks have a far more mainstream sound especially in the choruses of said tracks. This in itself is not a very bad thing, but the tracks sound completely set apart and distant from the instrumental tracks, thus the instrumental and lyrical tracks don't blend in too well. Keeping this in mind, I'm Not Jesus feat. Corey Taylor is rather excellent. Not only do the instruments maintain a good amount of `apocalypticaness`, but the lyrics sound good and are original, the concept of the song is about a man who was abused by a priest as a child. Helden, feat Lindemann is a track that couldnt come down to taste much more. The lyrics again are very meaningful, covering David Bowie's Heroes. The sound of this song however is very bland, with simplistic drum fills, and slow cellos, the fact that the singer's voice doesn't fit with the sound at all, and the odd sounding german lyrics don't help the situation. However meaningful the lyrics of this song may be, it doesn't pack the power of the other songs in the album. Often while listening to this track I felt the overpowering urge to simply skip to the next track. Again, this track comes down to taste alot, but it certainly doesn't fit in with the fast, epic sounding instrumentals. The worst track on the album however, is I Don't Care feat. Adam Gontier. Where Lindemann's voice doesn't fit in the least in Helden, I Don't Care sounds like it is crapping itself to death. With a verse not the least bit interesting, and a chorus which sounds like the commonly used `every Nickelback chorus`. S.O.S. feat. Christina Scabbia is another very `meh` song, completely distant from the powerful melodies of previous tracks. This is another situation where the chorus and such sound far too mainstream, at times you may even forget you're listening to Apocalyptica.

Overall the album is promising, forget three of the four singing tracks, and what you have is a barrage of heavy symphonic metal. The songs that make a standing impression are the title track `Worlds Collide` for it's feel and flow. `Ion` for it's impeccably badass riffing which will make you want to walk up to your local mailman and deliver a severe blow to his crotch, and `Stroke` With a very epic, smooth, inspirational sound. The typical metalhead should find this album rather appealing. The singers featured on the album are beyond skilled, but a break from the typical war and politics themes isn't enough to make a song stand out. If Apocalyptica stays on the same track but puts more effort into future lyrical tracks they should be headed in the right direction. Though there are a few occasions where the record stumbles into a pond of muddy water, they are easy to forgive when it shines hotter and brighter than the sun.

racman92
    I havent heard the whole album... but now I need to. I know that I love "I'm not Jesus", probably because Im a huge slipknot fan. But this band really does rock the other songs.