Katonah Review

Apollo Sunshine: Katonah
Release Date: Oct 7, 2003
Label: spinART
Genres: Pop Underground, College Rock, Neo-Psychedelia
Katonah is both a collection of tight, quirky, hook-ridden songs and an ambitious concept piece, unified not so much by any single idea as by a ceaseless gush of eager creativity.
 8.9
 8.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Katonah Reviewed by: stuzy21, on july 18, 2006

Sound: This is a great album. It is very upbeat for the most part. There is a great blend of acoustic and electric guitars in this album. This band also uses some very cool snyth sounds in their songs. This album blows me away because everything is always changing. You never get a chance to adjust to what is going on in the song which prevents any dull moments from occuring on this album. They give their drummer (Jeremy Black) a lot of freedom on this album and he uses his freedom to its fullest. He plays with a ferocious style quite similar to Keith Moon which really helps to drive the songs along. Overal this is a very unstructured sound that delivers some great listening. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this are always fitting with the music. Although sometimes nonsensical, they are always interesting. These lyrics offer a lot of imagery in them and rarely resort to simple love lyrics. Sam Cohen (the singer) has a unique voice that can be calm and soothing or harsh and intense at different times in the same song (ex. Fear Of Heights). // 7

Overall Impression: I love this album overal. It does not compare to any other artists or albums that I know of. As far as my knowledge, Apollo Sunshine is a one of a kind band. The most impressive songs on this album are "I Was On The Moon" "Happening" and "Conscious Pilot". I love the fact that this album is constantly changing. There is never a song that follows a simple verse-chorus-verse format. There is not much I hate on this album except for the fact that some of the songs have very odd choruses. (ex. "The Egg" and "Sheet With The Stars") If I lost this album I would immediatly buy it again. // 9

Comments