Anthems Of Rebellion review by Arch Enemy

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
Arch Enemy: Anthems Of Rebellion

This is the first album I heard of Arch Enemy, then I heard Wages Of Sin straight after. The sound is not uniquely different to that of Wages Of Sin, A lot of it is fast and heavy guitar riffs, plenty of double bass and brilliant vocals just like any AE albums. The best thing about this album is the guitars, Mike Amott never ceases to impress me, he is certainly one of my favourite guitarists and the reason I instantly loved Arch Enemy was because of the melodic driven sound, but the outstanding result. What the album lacks in lyrics it gains in sound.

Angela isn't totally lyrically creative on this album, however, her voice certainly makes up for that. The most commonly featured song on this album was "We Will Rise," and it was the first song I heard. Although there is some debate of the quality of this album on Angela's part, I can disagree with the negative comments, Angela did impress me and so did the lyrics.

The band includes Mike Amott (lead guitar), Daniel Erlandsson (drums), Christopher Amott (rhythm guitar), Sharlee D'Angelo (bass guitar), and Angela Gossow (lead vocals). For anyone who is interested in Swedish death metal/black metal, this is certainly an album to listen to. If anything can captivate you on this album, it would have to be the brilliantly driven sound of the Amott's guitars and the vocals. It takes guts to replace a male vocalist with a female and expect her to be better, but this is one fairytale turned reality. Although there exists plenty of debate about this album, lots of mixed reviews, some saying, hated it, loved it, and even though I would much prefer an album like Wages Of Sin, I cannot deny that this album was the main reason for my interest in Arch Enemy and they deserve as much credit as they can get. In the end it's all based on opinion, so really the decision is up to you, all I can give is recommendation to listen to Athems Of Rebellion.