Doomsday Machine review by Arch Enemy

• Released: Jul 26, 2005
Arch Enemy: Doomsday Machine

The sound on this album is just like the rest of Arch Enemy's work with vocalist Angela Gossow - more pulled together and slick than any albums with their previous vocalist. But who cares about the sound quality? Look at Venom. What matters is that every single member of Arch Enemy is a monster at what they do. The brothers Amott are amazing as always, and have a way with being aggressive and beautiful at the same time. Some complain about Angela's vocals being too repetitive or "samey", but she IS a death metal vocalist, and anyone with enough balls to scream for an extreme metal band clearly doesnt't care if they win any awards for vocal deliveries. That said, she does exactly what screaming was meant for, aggression and heaviness. So if you don't like her voice, listen to Stevie Nicks.

The lyrics are metal lyrics. That's all. They aren't horrible and they aren't good (although they can be cheesy at times) but I wont let run of the mill metal lyrics make this albums rating go down. They're easy to scream along to and fit the songs, so whatever.

This album (and this band, for that matter) is one of the heaviest out there right now. This is my favorite Arch Enemy CD so far, although Anthems of Rebellion takes a close second. If you are a fan of the Burning Bridges-era Enemy, then listen to this album with an open mind, as the songs on Doomsday Machine are slicker and catchier, although a little bit less raw. Overall this CD is worth however much it costs, and if someone stole it, I would probably just stare at pictures of Angela Gossow anyway.

thrashnmosh782
    kurtshapedbox wrote: Haha, yeah, the guy who gave this a 3.7 clearly isn't the bightest penut in the turd. hahaahaha...Otep... vocals.... good....the? Michael Amott is a great guitarist, and even though I like God Forbid, their guitar-work fails in comparison. The coolest solo I've ever heard them do is what Jeff Loomis did on Gone Forever.
    umm ur an idiot. jeff loomis is in nevermore, not god ****ing forbid!!!
    Perpetual Burn
    Haha. God forbid this guy from ever writing a review that I might read. This albums definitely up there.
    mtllica
    I ****ing love this album...just amazing, My Apocalypse is by far my favorite song and I just love how Angela's vocals sound, IMO she is by FAR the best Death Metal vocalist...Michael and Chris really have some great guitarwork on this album, and I absolutely loved Hybrids of Steel...10/10
    Reaper966
    how should nemesis be played,there are 5 versions,some with slide in refrain and some with a ghost note
    Reaper966
    how should nemesis be played,there are 5 versions for GP and some have slide in refrain,some a ghost note