Daybreaker review by Architects

• Released: May 28, 2012
Architects: Daybreaker

"Daybreaker" is beautifully arranged. There is a wonderful feeling of ambience that lasts the entire record, whether it's through the chime-like rings at the beginning of "These Colours Don't Run" or in the gentle murmurs of vocalist Sam Carter in the opening track "The Bitter End". That's not to say the album is soft. This is Architects at the end of day. The signature off-rhythm, screeching, yet heavy and dull (in the good sense!) guitar tone has returned on this album, ensuring that "Daybreaker" has plenty of teeth behind the nice smile.

Lyrically, "Daybreaker" is actually surprisingly refreshing, and sets new ground for the band. Carter screams about the corrupt, capitalist society we live in ("These Colours Don't Run") and snarls about the inquisitive power of religion ("Alpha Omega"). From time to time they do fall under the bleak and generic theme that is always present in this genre. But for the most part, Sam Carter delivers a gritty, p-ssed-off opinion of the state of the world, and it is satisfying.

It is frustrating having to succumb to unintelligent internet users who have been howling this for the past few months, but "Daybreaker" is indeed a return to form for Architects, after the great - but not spectacular - "The Here And Now". Therefore, my sole criticism of this album is the pure fact of the negative stigma existing behind it. That said, it's satisfying knowing that "Daybreaker" will be - not necessarily a "slap in the face" - but more a confident return to greatness for Architects. I know I would buy because I'm looking at the CD now. A great, great album.

opusthecat
    CurtR95 wrote: Architects... what can I say... its pretty much just poor level -core music... A shame the genre had chance till it got overflowed with bands like this... Disappointment on a disc.... and mathcore? i doubt it...
    Isn't there an Abandon All Ships show you're late for?
    NightBladeXx
    Personally, I love this album. It's keeping up with the current state of the "-core scene," it's still got the feel of an Architects' record, it keeps my attention all the way through... probably my favorite release this summer. You can't beat tracks like Devil's Island, Unbeliever, and Alpha Omega.
    U_Mad_Bro
    dunno what everyone else was listening to, but this album has some seriously heavy moments and is COMPLETELY different from stereotypical -core music, you want that, listen to Attack Attack!
    caraphernelia_
    personally, I love this album. My favourite song on it is Unbeliever. Architects really stand out compared to other bands in this genre.
    Ibeanez
    Carter screams about the corrupt, capitalist society we live in...
    So, the usual bull.
    laklok
    A few tracks on this album are solid, but overall it didn't impress me that much.
    EpiExplorer
    Rofl, 'marthcore'. People I know have been begging me to like this album, but its still a lost cause on me. More breakdown repitition.
    EpiExplorer
    metallicaflavor wrote: is EpiExplorer kidding? There's almost no breakdowns on this album. amazing album though
    I counted 3 in 'These colours..'. This is the 'breakdown' that most -core artists use anyway, I dont mean the actual musical definition of a breakdown (which is essentially a dynamic and tonal shift from one section to another, the tempo just so happens to change sometimes as well, usually with prevelant percussion. Opeth has quite a few, as an example, if we're going by literals). I also noticed this album rips off TesseracT a lot when it comes to melody.
    J.Millzzzz
    im a huge tesseract fan. I have yet to hear a ripped off melody. and if theres only one core style breakdown in these colors don't run. just because a riff is rhythmic based dosent make it a breakdown. a lot of architects riffs consist of picking a chord, and then hitting an open note. not really a generic breakdown
    CurtR95
    jaybrink10101
    Not the hugest Architects fan - I found Ruin to be a little abrasive and -core for my taste. Hollow Crown was a fantastic record which I can listen to maybe three tracks (brilliant songs, by the way) in order before I feel like I need to hear some more melody and less open-open-open-semitone dissonance. The Here And Now disappointed me and everyone else a little. Daybreaker melds the best elements for me - it has the ambience, the metal, the timing changes, the more melody based songs, the dissonant thrashers, and best of all, the songs that meld brutality and melody. Great album, it might even rank above Hollow Crown for me.