Hollow Crown review by Architects

• Released: Jan 26, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Architects: Hollow Crown

I know there's probably a pierce lipped, floppy fringed, skinny jean clad bunch out there waiting to try and wound me with their words in an online comment for comparing Architects to Bring Me The Horizon but listen! I'm merely pointing out the fact that the vocal styling's of both Architects lead singer Sam Carter and BMTH's Oli Sykes are at times. Exactly the f--king same! There's just no denying it! However, I am not trying to take anything away from Architects individuality within the scene. One thing that Mr. Carter possesses in his vocal repertoire that Oliver Sykes does not is the ability to, not only produce the voice of Satan but, actually to sing as well. In Dead March for example the transition from scream to melodic singing creates a stunning contrast. This contrast shows this band's diversity. Like in title track Hollow Crown, a melancholic ballad about missing someone close to you whilst out on the road, is a refreshing break from the br00tal chaos of the other songs on the record as a result of Sam's talented singing. Architects sound like Bring Me The Horizon and Dillinger Escape Plan baking a speed melody cake. The technical fretwork of Tom Searle and Tim Hillier-Brook rips your face off with hooks that cause old ladies to have a lie down; the relentless drums of Dan Searle; the droning bass of Alex Dean and the blood-curdling roars of Sam Carter come together as one.

The lyrics on Hollow Crown cover a number of subjects ranging from unreturned love to stalking! Sam Carter's lyrics on Hollow Crown are predominantly straight forward and quite melancholic. On many of the songs Carter sings of longing for and being lost without someone close to him. Sometimes on too many songs which gets me thinking Sam needs to expand his lyrical horizons before the topic becomes tiresome. Nevertheless, on songs such as the title track the feeling of desire and desperation to see this person is conveyed beautifully as Sam sings "As the sea breeze hit's my lungs it takes me back to where I belong". In We're All Alone the lyrics portray someone devoting their entire heart to someone they know doesn't love them back but yearning for that individual to love them back which is quite depressing to say the least. Lighten up guys! Nah I'm just playing.

Whilst being a nice little number to have under their belt I believe Architects will have to raise the bar for their next effort so that they can reach the heights they are clearly capable of reaching. Even though there are some corkers on this record it is hard to ignore some of the other more mediocre offerings. Those songs that are hard to distinguish from other songs in an overcrowded genre (I'm not mentioning names lol). On the other hand, sticking to the positives, there are songs like Early Grave, Dethroned and Dead March in there to prove that this band has what it takes to soar high above the crowd. Also, I recently missed to opportunity to go and see this band live DO NOT make the same mistake! Go see them and by the time of their next release you can be the ones say you were there first.

j3ansu1t
    Eh, Oli Sykes copied Sam's vocals, not the other way around. Before, BMTH were all about the deathcore shrieking crap, and now with their latest they're doing the whole hardcore yelling thing. Also, it's kind of a concept album, so similar lyrical themes are a given.